The Betrayal

Nearing the end of the first week within the Fire Nation's Royal Palace, Princess Kalini had completed most of her tasks. She sat through countless lectures about the Fire Nation's customs, culture, history, and even picked up a few things that she adapted to her etiquette and appearance. She learned some dishes that were favorites within the Fire Nation and even visited the royal spa inside the palace with Lua during the times she was free. Lua spent whatever time she could with Kalini if she wasn't attending to her duties. But on the occasions she wasn't available, Lua would wander the Fire Nation Capital's towns and villages, meet people, make friends, and repeat the process. Chieftain Tien, when finished with several daily meetings about Kalini's arrangements, would spend his time getting a feel for the Fire Nation as well as hold several small meetings and gatherings with his soldiers and servants.

One afternoon, Kalini lounged in the luxurious spa within the palace. The room was decorated with rich, warm colors and the sound of gently crackling flames from small, controlled fires provided a soothing atmosphere. Kalini was wrapped in a plush pale blue towel, her deep blue hair wet from mineral baths as she sat by a large, steaming hot spring. She seemed out of place amidst the fiery decor yet there was a spark of excitement when Lua entered the space. Lua wore a red plush towel, her hair covered with another, and around her neck, a Fire Nation necklace. She sat opposite Kalini and leaned back with a relaxed smile, cheerfully speaking. "Kalini, the steam is amazing."

"It's certainly different from the mist in the oasis," Kalini said, giggling. "But I must admit it's quite relaxing." Lua looked over at Kalini, giving her a smirk as a servant placed a hot towel over her eyes. "Maybe you'll start to like it here so much that you won't want to leave." Kalini smiled and looked around the room before shifting her gaze back to Lua. "Who knows?" she said as she twirled one finger around the other. Lua jolted up, the towel on her eyes falling off onto the floor. "Oh? And what charm might that be? Or should I say..." Lua got up from her seat and sat right next to Kalini. "Who?" she finished her dramatic pause. Kalini blushed slightly, her smile widening when she thought of Hira'a, the Prince of the Fire Nation.

"Well, there's Prince Hira'a, of course. He's been... quite the gracious host," Kalini mutters under her breath, Lua's eyebrows raised as she responds. "I've noticed the way he looks at you. Like you're the northern star guiding him through the night." Kalini chuckles as she thinks about how thoughtful Lua could be at moments. "That's quite poetic, Lua. But it's not just about attraction. If our union were to happen, it would symbolize a new era of peace and unity between our nations," Kalini says before Lua switches the topic, now that she's drowned in political talk that she didn't quite comprehend. She picked up on Kalini's vocabulary and proper grammar skills because she was her friend, but she never saw herself as a public figure, someone capable of voicing her opinions elegantly with authority. "Speaking of unions, I met this Fire Nation boy the other night at the royal feast. His name is Dian, and he has the most fascinating stories about traveling across the volcanic ridges," Lua says.

Kalini smiles slightly, leaning back as she hears her friend is enjoying her time in the Fire Nation as well. "It seems you're making your own connections here, Lua. That's wonderful!" Kalini says, clapping her hands twice and smiling. Two servants approach her and ask if she wants her hair washed, as another approaches Lua and begins to give her a manicure. Once Kalini's hair was in the wash sink, she continues her conversation with Lua from a distance. "There's much more I would have to learn, though, to assume the role of crowned princess here," Kalini says. Lua glances at her and then at her nails. "I've seen you master waterbending forms that would make the most seasoned benders envious," she says while admiring her fingernails. Kalini turns her head slightly and glances at Lua. "Thank you, Lua. But it's more than bending. It's about understanding the customs, the traditions... the way of life here. It's so different from our tribe," Kalini says as Lua relaxes her head back into the wash sink. A servant begins to wash her long, luscious brown hair. The servant washing Kalini's hair begins to manicure her fingernails after rinsing her hair, as Kalini bends the remaining moisture out of her hair back into the sink. "I can only imagine," Lua says before sighing as she contemplates how much Kalini has been through in the last three and a half years after assuming the role and title of crowned Princess of the Water Tribe.

The Life of Dark: Book 1; Guidance.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें