2 ~ A Visit

Chapter 2

A VISIT

“Alastor!” Charlie called. Alastor perked up in his place in front of the staircase and looked at Charlie, who was standing in the lounge with the others.

“Yes?” he asked, his ears angling toward the sound of Charlie's voice.

Charlie walked over to him with a quick pace. “My dad is coming to visit for a few days starting today. I need you to please be on your best behavior, okay?” she said. “Can you do that?” she asked in an overly sweet tone.

Alastor rolled his eyes. “I will certainly try, dear,” he said. Charlie smiled and wrapped her arms around him.

“Thank you, Al!” she said. Alastor's ears pinned back, his body was tense as Charlie captured him in a tight embrace.

“Yes, yes. Stop that,” he said, his voice almost showing the discomfort he felt with the physical touch.

Almost.

The feeling of being touched by another person almost made him shudder. There were only a few people who he let touch him: Rosie, Niffty, and his mother. Charlie was none of those.

Charlie, noticing Alastor's discomfort, immediately let go of him. “Sorry,” she said.

Alastor nodded, as if to say, “It's okay.” without actually saying anything. He gave her his signature smile and slipped through the shadows, up the stairs to his room.

Once he was in his room, he grabbed a book off of his desk and sat in one of his red lounge chairs.

If Lucifer was coming to the hotel, he was going to avoid him at all costs. For Charlie's sake, of course.

He leaned over and turned on the radio that sat on the small, circular table between the two lounge chairs. A bit of static emitted from the speaker before the pleasant sound of old jazz filled the room.

Alastor let out a contented sigh before sitting back in his chair, crossing one leg over the other as he opened the book he had grabbed just a few moments ago.

He had an odd ability that many didn't have. He was able to sit for hours and just . . . read.

A lot of demons, humans, and even angels likely wouldn't be able to do that.

So, after a few hours of reading, he heard a knock at his door. He dogeared the page he was on and closed the book.

“Come in,” he called out.

He could hear the doorknob jiggling a bit as whoever it was that knocked opened the door.

“Hey, Al,” a familiar voice said.

Alastor turned off the radio and set his book down next to it. “Yes, Charlie?” he asked.

Charlie's light footsteps were heard approaching him. “You okay? You've been in here for . . . um, hours,” she said with a slightly awkward chuckle.

Alastor looked at her. “I'm perfectly fine, sweetheart! I've just been enjoying a little story,” he said. He gestured at the book on the table.

He could sense Charlie's gaze following his gesture. “Oh,” the girl said. “Okay. That's good. Sorry, I just don't think I've ever known you to just stay in your room for several hours straight,” she said with a smile.

Alastor chuckled. “I do it every once in a while, dear, I just haven't found the time for it recently,” he said. There was a brief pause before he continued with a question. “When is your father supposed to arrive?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.