Chapter 16: Void

I wake up in a void. I wasn't floating, oddly enough, but there was no floor. There wasn't anything at all. It was exactly like when I died.

And yet, I feel like I'm being watched.

I hear what sounds like someone clearing their throat come from behind me, so I spin around, summoning a knife to protect myself, but I lose my footing on the lack of a solid visual floor. My brain tried to move my feet to compensate, but it resulted in me flailing before I hit the ground.

I waste no time in looking for what made the noise, and I didn't like what I saw.

It was Gaster. He looked similar to when I saw him in person. Tall, wearing a dark worm out lab coat and half of his face drooped. He seemed hunched over and not as imposing as before.

"Hello. I wished to speak with you about our current conflict." He states calmly. "Speak then." I reply, getting to my feet quickly. I still had my knife in my hand, but I didn't make any moves. I wasn't any good at fighting yet, and he was way more powerful than the others combined, so I wouldn't last long anyway.

"This petty squabble we are having is pointless. Surely you must see that? I will win, in the end, and it will be like nothing ever happened. So, I have pulled you here to ask you one last time. Just give up. This needn't be a painful process. No one needs to die before the final RESET occurs." Gaster speaks softly.

"Why do you want me to willingly cooperate? Why not just take my SOUL now?" I ask, backing away some, in case I gave the mad skeleton any ideas.

"Because, whether you believe it or not, I am not the bad guy. I merely want what is best for all. Monsters suffered, trapped underground for hundreds of years, while humans did nothing but wage war upon eachother. If you had the ability to undo all of the pain, would you not try to make the world into a utopia?" Gaster asks.

"Not if it means everyone I know won't exist. Besides, just because you avert one horrible event, doesnt mean another wont take its place. What if instead of sealing them in the underground, humanity decides to wipe out the monsters?" I reply, speaking my mind immediately. You can't stop everything. No matter how much you know, you can't stop every single bad action.

"Then I would reset again and start over. As many times as it takes." Gaster replies. That was a dangerous path.

"I bet Frisk thought the same thing, about finding me." I retort. What was there of his face contorts, his drooping side looking like it started melting.

"Do not compare me to that child!" He yells in anger. I guess I struck a nerve. Surprising, given that to this point he had been calm, even when he was fighting us. "Do not think me some fool, who would use the RESETs for their own selfish desire. I would not genocide  an entire race to accomplish my goals!" He exclaims. Suddenly, my arms and legs were pinned, and I looked down to see 2 huge skeletal hands holding my body in place. I dispelled my knife, it clearly wouldn't do me any good.

Gaster walks closer, holding out one of his hands. As he walks, his face slowly goes back to normal. My SOUL comes out as soon as he is close to me, and it goes to his hand. "I want you to know, I could take it right here, right now. I will not. You have one month to think it over before I will arrive. Regardless of your decision, I will have your SOUL. It only decides how much pain needs to be inflicted before you hand it over." Gaster states calmly.

"We will stop you." I sneer defiantly. "Your mimicry could not possibly stand up to my abilities. You have no true power, only what you mirror, and your friends can barely hold a few minutes on their own." Gaster replies, chuckling, as if it was funny.

My SOUL flies back to my body, but halfway through its journey, for a split second, I got a weird feeling. Did he do something to my soul? Before I could question anything further, a voice burst in just as my SOUL goes back inside of me.

"(Y/n), wake up!"

*

"Come on, (Y/n), it's almost noon." I hear Chara speak softly. I groggily open my eyes and see her floating over me. "Finally, I thought you'd never wake up. I haven't slept in at least a few decades, and even I woke up hours ago." Chara says, floating off to the side of my room. "Bad dream..." I mumble as I wipe my eyes and sit up. I immediately felt an arm wrap around my shoulder. "Was it 'her' again?" Chara asks, venom in her voice. Chara had floated next to me and was sitting on the bed leaning close.

"No, it was far worse. It was Gaster." I reply, looking down at my hands. "Did he hurt you?" Chara asks, worried. "No, I'm fine. He's giving us a month before he returns." I reply, giving her a soft smile.

"Then we need to start preparing. We should talk with Frisk and Sans, and you need fighting lessons." Chara says hurriedly, floating off the bed. I stand next to her and stretch a bit.

"Calm down. We can take a few days off of worrying. We haven't really had much time to ourselves, especially not after Waterfall." I say, trying to calm her a bit. She drifts to the floor, her worried look fading a bit. "Yeah, you're right. We have time. We should spend at least a few days to ourselves." Chara agrees with me as she wraps her arms around me. "No dying this time, got it?" She demands playfully. "Yes, princess." I reply, returning the hug.

I wish we had more time.

*

(Thanks for 1.5k reads! I hope you enjoyed and feedback is always welcome!)