Chapter 17: You Again.

3 days have passed since my talk with Gaster. The strange feeling I had felt right before our chat had ended never came back, so I guess it was nothing. Chara and I spent the time trying not to think about it as well as trying to hang out together with my parents around.

Luckily, today was the day of the party Frisk invited me to. It was a bit late, but I managed to convince my parents to let me go to it, and Chara decided she would come along despite the fact that according to Frisk, a bunch of people were invited, both humans and monsters.

Frisk had explained over text that the party was just something for people to enjoy their last bit of summer break before school started in 2 weeks, so Chara had decided that she would try not to be invisible the entire time. She reasoned that since she was starting to get tired, then maybe she was becoming more human, and with that, there was a possibility of losing her 'powers', so she needed to get used to actually being around people.

We arrived at the Monster Mansion a bit before the party. Frisk, Sans, Papyrus, and a few others were all setting up still.

"Hey! (Y/n)! I'm glad you came!" Frisk says after seeing me. She notices Chara and quickly adds, "Nice to see you too, Chara."

I'm glad they are on better terms now. Chara gave a small smile and a nod in response to Frisk. "I said I'd come, didn't I? Do you guys need any help setting up?" I ask, wanting to be useful. "No, we're pretty much done now. People are going to start arriving soon. Thanks for the offer, though." Frisk replies, smiling and gesturing to some of the first people arriving as she walks over to greet them.

*

In under an hour, the party was underway. I stuck to the outer edge of it. A few old acquaintances were there, so i talked with them for a bit. I had already lost track of Chara, though, which either meant she was off having fun or hiding in plain sight like me. I'm sure she's fine, or else she'd come find me.

Sans and Papyrus left Frisk in charge of the party after they had finished setting up. They said they would be back to help clean up.

As the party seemed to go up in volume, I decided to step outside for a minute to let some of the chaos die down. I can handle loud noises and crowds of people separately, but loud noises and a crowd were a recipe for a headache.

As I stepped outside, I saw Chara leaning against a wall. She was looking out towards the setting sun. "Come out here to hide from the party?" I ask, curious as I lean against the wall next to her. "Yeah. I forgot how overwhelming crowds could be when you're actually a part of them. Why are you out here? I figured you would be in there helping Frisk with something." Chara says, looking to me.

"Nah, she's got everything pretty much handled herself. The noise was starting to give me a headache so I wanted some fresh air." I reply, looking out towards the sunset. It was nice out and much quieter than inside. Chara leans closer to me and rests her head on my shoulder. "I'm not sure I want to go back in there." She says quietly. "Then we don't have to. I'll stay out here with you." I say softly in response. She smiled a bit and didn't say anything more, so we both just enjoyed eachothers company for a few minutes.

"You should head back inside. I don't want to hold you up for the entire party." Chara ends the silence as she lifts her head off my shoulder. "Are you sure? I wasn't really doing anything much in there." I reply. "Yeah, I'll be fine out here." She replies, smiling reassuringly. "Alright then, if you need me, you know where to find me." I say before heading back inside. As I crossed the doorway, I got another weird feeling in my SOUL, similar to the one when I talked with Gaster, but I couldn't figure out what it meant, so I shrugged it off and continued inside.

*

A few hours later, the party started to die down as people left to go home, so I made sure Frisk didn't need help with anything and then went outside to head home with Chara.