CHAPTER 3

"Where the fuck is it?" Brynn muttered to herself rummaging through her backpack and locker.

"Where's what?" Kaylee asked walking up behind her.

"My psychology textbook. Mr. Grumby assigned us a reading and I can't for the life of me find that stupid book." For the first day of school she sure did have a lot of homework. Including a math assignment, creating an outline for a review essay in english about Othello, and reading the first chapter in their psychology textbook. The chapter was called What is Psychology? and she couldn't figure that out if she didn't have her textbook.

Kaylee looked at her friend shaking her head. It was only the first day of school and she already seemed to be at stress level ten. "Maybe you left it in the classroom or something."

"No, I'm 100% sure that I brought it with me."

"When did you realize you didn't have it?" Kaylee asked offhandedly leaning back on the lockers and examining her fingernails.

"Like five minutes ago,"

Kaylee rolled her eyes. She felt like anything concerning Brynn meant that she was going to roll her eyes at some point. If she kept being friends with her maybe her eyes would get stuck in the back of her head. "No Brynn, really think. When did it occur to you that something was off?"

Brynn stood there a minute in thought, "Crap,"

Kaylee finally looked up from her nails. She mentally noted that she had to set up an manicure appointment. "What?"

"Before lunch when I got out of class some dork ran into me and all my stuff went everywhere. He helped me pick them up but then when I walked away I noticed how my stuff was lighter."

"So he has it." Kaylee responded making it more of a statement than a question.

"Yea, I guess so."

"Then stop wasting our time and go get it."

"I don't even know that kid's name." Brynn muttered to herself then she shook her head, "Ok, you know what? I'll go find him. Here," She handed Kaylee her backpack and her keys, "Take these and wait for me in the car. I'll find him, get my book, and we can study at my place ok?"

"Yea, yea, ok. Just don't take too long."

"I won't!" Brynn yelled out making her way down the hall in search for the boy with the who had her textbook.

After walking around the whole school she finally saw him walking down the hall to get to the front doors. She grabbed the arm of the person closest to her and pulled him to her. He was a boy with dirty blonde hair and teeth that were so white they looked like pearls. "That kid," She said pointing at the the boy that had her psychology textbook, "What's his name?"

The boy who she pulled looked at Brynn, then at who she was pointing at, then back at Brynn. He had no idea why she would want anything to do with that guy. If anything she should be asking for him. He was about to ask her out rather then tell her but then he looked at her serious face and thought better of it. Instead he turned his head to her and answered with a confused tone, "You mean Turner?"

"Turner? Yea, kay, thanks," She said shoving the boy back to his group of friends. She could hear the boys congratulating him on getting Brynn Hartley's attention. She rolled her eyes. She didn't have time for idiots. "Turner!" She yelled out marching over to the boy who whipped his head back hearing his name called.

*****

For Alfie Turner today was exhausting. The biggest factor to how tired he was came from some of the idiots on the committee for the school paper. Anastasia Watson wrote a stupid article on the pros and cons of pastel hair dyes when she was supposed to be writing an article about fall fashion. Henry Jacobson interviewed Ms. Cruder the lunch lady instead of Ms. Kruger the director of the fall musical. Then there was the fact that Penelope Hoover started out writing about fall sports then by the end of the article was talking about her new cat Bubbles.