122 ∞ The Cough Syrup Method

Day 00015 Mission Nilex

Gareth stared at the memory stick, slowly shaking his head with an odd sense of confused disbelief at his position. Even with his habit of keeping his core emotions compartmentalized, he struggled to keep these new conflicting feelings under control. He wasn't some young man working up the courage to request a parent's blessing to court their daughter, as some cultures required. He was Captain of the LS Canaisis, and they sailed alone.

Ahmid leaned back in his chair and regarded him. "I'm glad we could have this talk, Captain."

Gareth shook his head to himself and met Ahmid's gaze. "Agreed. Thank you, Ahmid. I appreciate all you have shared with me. Hurting Ayla is the furthest thing from my mind."

"I know. She would choose no one less."

"Understand, Ahmid, I don't know if I can promise not to. I'll be setting sail shortly after you've touched down and I'm assured you've begun establishing yourselves."

Ahmid sat up. "You must leave so soon? Your assistance would definitely be a big help."

"I have three seedpods to deliver and one solar system to check out, Ahmid. Despite what the Citizens did, three new habitable worlds will benefit Humanity as a whole."

"It is good you will complete the contract. But I fear delivering us first and not the seedpods means we'll have to devote ourselves to asteroid mining to meet our contract. More importantly, the Citizens might view us as having broken our contract." Ahmid leaned forward and his voice held a note of pleading as he continued, "Please, Captain, I ask that you follow your contract as agreed upon."

"Do you think they'll honor the time extension if I deliver the pods first? They did try to blow us up."

"I can't imagine what they're thinking, Captain, but they could have stopped us from ever boarding Canaisis. I have to assume the explosion has something to do with you and this ship. Eliminating Nilex would merely be collateral damage to them."

Gareth nodded. "Perhaps you're right, but I've no idea for what reason. As you stated, they could have done something before we left lunar orbit. So why wait? It makes little sense."

A few seconds of silence passed as both men contemplated the implications.

"You could always message them, report a defective seedpod," said Ahmid. "Perhaps in communicating, they'll reveal their true intentions."

Gareth shook his head. "That would reveal our location. Right now, I'd say it's best to stay hidden. I take it you still intend to go to New Jordan?"

Ahmid rested his elbows on his knees. "I've been thinking about this since you first made your offer. I appreciate the gesture, Captain, I really do. But what happens when they find us? A corporation that disregards its obligation to Humanity for selfish reasons is dissolved immediately. I will not risk Nilex on such a gamble."

"Have you thought about your people's future under the Citizens' thumb, Ahmid?"

"We have always been 'under the thumb'—as you say—of someone, Captain. Nilex has survived."

"It will be different for the generations to come, Ahmid. Nilex will no longer merely exist in asteroid belts and minor moons solely to mine. New Jordan will become your home planet to them, not some distant planet they've never seen. Their loyalty will be to their home, not Earth."

"As you say, Captain. But serving Humanity is a corporation's duty. We will mine the system's resources, and New Jordan may offer new medicines and trade goods. Trade can be mutually beneficial and ensure our survival."