Seven

I am avoiding Christian like how Cookie Monster avoids vegetables.

I felt his stare in on my back during every class. I just refused to face him.

It was now lunch time and Kate and her friends were still gushing about what Christian said.

"Oh look, there he is!" Kate shook my shoulder and outright pointed at Christian who was sitting alone at a corner table.

We get in line and get lunch, thankfully, my card isn't denied today.

I make my way to the table we sat at yesterday only, no one is behind me. I whirl around and watch as Kate, Aaliyah and, Tyla take a seat across from Christian.

I think I shall die. Yes, I shall expire right here.

His eyes widen the size of coconuts as he stares at the girls.

They pay him no mind and being to eat and chat. I ever so slowly make my way to the table, noticing the only seat left was next to Christian.

I gulp down as much air as I can before I reach the table.

"Ana, what took you so long? Sit! We were just discussing how we can get you into dance class with us." Kate smirks at me as I take a seat.

"Actually, I want to take kickboxing." My voice comes put soft as I stare down at my tray full of food. My raging appetite seems to have vanished.

"Did you get all the things you need for kickboxing?" Christian asks, silencing all three girls.

"Yes, it's in my locker." I use my fork to pick at the grilled fish on my plate.

I peek over at Christian, he nods and stuffs a huge piece of steak into his mouth. Steak sauce his smeared across his chin and I have a huge urge to take my thumb and wipe it away, the way my Mom used to do me.

We fall silent again until Tyla speaks up, "So Ana, any chance you hooking up with Justin?"

"Ew, hell no." I blurt out then, cover my mouth with my hand.

Everyone laughs at the table, including Christian. His laugh is beautiful. He's beautiful. When he laughs, he looks so young, care free....happy.

I let out a small giggle, that's when Christian stops laughing and stares at me with pure wonder in his gray eyes.

I quickly look away and pop a piece of fish into my mouth.

I want so badly to use my hair as a shield. I push my food around as Kate and Aaliyah watch us and whisper to one another while Tyla, scarfs down her food in a very unlady like fashion.

"You should eat. I don't want you to pass out on me later in the gym." Christian murmurs as he wolfs down his baked potato.

I pick up a piece of asparagus and bite off the tip.

Christian freezes, his fork suspended mid air, his mouth hanging open.

I blush again and go back to my food.

The rest of lunch is relatively quiet, except for Kate and Aaliyah whispering. No doubt about Christian and I.

A few moments before the bell rings, Christian stands and picks up his tray as well as mine.

"We should get your equipment for class, before the bell rings."

I nod in agreement and collect the two textbooks and binder that I used for my last few classes.

Together we walk side by side down the almost deserted halls.

I notice how sparkly and clean everything is. There are trophies on top of trophies lines in glass cases. The walls and floors are bright white, like they were brand spanking new. The lockers seem to be freshly painted.