Prologue

I paced the floor, arms wrapped around my chest, eyes fixated on the window, silently pleading for any sign of either of them. Hours of crying had left my eyes red and swollen, my tears had finally stopped falling, leaving behind a horrific headache in their wake. Only three days had passed since my fiance, Rafe disappeared, and my best friend Mikal bolted, but the stress and worry had made it feel like more. 

Bad blood ran between Rafe and Mikal; I blame myself and my complicated feelings because of Mikal's obvious devotion to me.  Against my wishes, Rafe had sent Mikal an invitation to our wedding. I should have just been brave and told Mikal myself. He deserved that; but Rafe had taken it out of my hands at my hesitation.

Maybe he was trying to be considerate, but I was angry.  Angry at Rafe for telling Mikal, angry at Mikal for being such an adolescent wolf, but mostly angry at myself for continuing to hurt them both.

How had I gotten to this point? How had I fallen in love with two very good men at the same time?

Due to his insecurities, Rafe had stepped out of character when he knowingly allowed Mikal to overhear our conversation about getting married. The torn howl of grief that escaped from Mikal's black wolf that morning still echoed in my ears and would haunt me forever; but not as much as Mikal's kisses would. I touched my lips gingerly as I remembered the fire those kisses had left, along with my longing for more. He surprised me one night last week and kissed me for the first time. It was eye opening. I was...no, am...I am conflicted!

Mikal is my childhood best friend. Our dads are inseparable, being the Alpha and Beta of our pack. So, it only stood to reason that he and I would be best friends, being raised together. But in my heart, we had always been just friends. Until I started dating Rafe almost a year ago. That is when things got complicated.  Mikal started expressing deeper feelings that ultimately led to that kiss.  

Rafe, Mikal and I are wolves, shapeshifters, moon blessed. Whatever you want to call us.  Some want to call us werewolves, but we weren't bitten. We were born this way. Humans think we are a myth, but we aren't.

I know you are probably wondering about wolf soulmates or imprinting and yeah, it's a thing. But the fact of the matter is, my wolf is dormant. She has never made an appearance in all my 18 years and I don't know if she ever will. Without her guidance, I don't know for sure.

I peered out my bedroom window again, willing Rafe to be there, but he wasn't. Unbeknownst to me, every night for the past ten months, after his family moved here, Rafe had climbed up to my window to watch over me as I slept. He had finally confessed once we started dating. We cuddled every night since. I love him. I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

I had cried all night for the loss of Mikal, when the pain from the wedding invitation had driven him past reason. He had disappeared. But that didn't change anything except make my pain even harder to bear and Rafe guilt ridden.

I jumped in the bed and pulled the covers up. I turned my head and screamed into the pillow as I remembered that night three days ago after I found out that Mikal had run off.

"Rafe how could you?" I cried out in pain to Rafe. "I specifically told you that I didn't want to hurt Mikal by sending him an invitation."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

"Mila, listen to me. I didn't intend for him to react that way." His butterscotch eyes pleaded for me to understand as he raked his hand through his long blonde hair. "I just knew if things had been different and he had been the one to win your heart, I would have wanted to know."  If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author FOR FREE, go to Wattpad/mellie_readsnwrites.

"I know Rafe but I didn't want him to find out that way. I guess I was being a coward. I should have talked to him myself." I wrapped my arms around my chest. Rafe noticed the gesture. "No one knows where he is and can't even get in touch with him through telepathy. There is no telling where he is now."

"Mila, I am so sorry." He sadly shook his head. "I admit that I am glad that you are mine and that you agreed to be my wife. I have seen you in anguish over him, Mila. It is obvious you love him." I opened my mouth to argue, but he gently placed his fingers against my lips. "Granted, I know you love me too. But be honest, Mila, if I hadn't entered the picture, where would you be right now?" Rafe could be so altruistic, thinking entirely of others.

"Ohhhhhh!" I moaned in frustration. "I need a human moment." I headed for the bathroom, slamming the door behind me. Looking in the mirror, I began muttering about arrogant, adolescent wolves.

After washing my hands and face, I returned to my bedroom to find it empty. No sign of Rafe anywhere. I rushed to the open window and called his name. There was no answer, only the hoot of an owl and other night sounds. I pulled my head in, dropped into my reading chair and began to cry.

The next day I learned that he and his family had left in the middle of the night.  Alpha didn't know, or wouldn't say where they went to.

So, now look where I had gotten myself. They both rejected me. I wrapped my arms around my chest. A sickening feeling ran through my body as my heart began to rip open.