Delays

I couldn't get the little cottage in the bank's window out of my mind, so I had a quiet moment to talk to my Dad about it in the Wholefish Cafe over dinner the same evening with Sarah's grandparents.

He had been so understanding and suggested that to take a look at it with me, which we did the very next day. The agent was friendly and just as enthusiastic as I was - well, he probably just wanted to get rid of the house, as his father had already tried to sell it. But I really wanted it! So it was probably a win-win situation for both of us.

We told my mother that we just wanted to spend some father and son time together and go hiking. She had found a good friend in Sam's mother, who had distracted her during the time by showing her around the city. My Mum would freak out if she heard what I was spending my savings on, that I wanted to settle down so far away from her, and what I was willing to put myself through to do that - at least that's how she would say it. I, on the other hand, only saw in my mind's eye what it would look like when it was finished...one day. It would be a gem on the road between Tonypridd and Pontypandy and Sarah, if she wanted to, would give it the final and most beautiful shine with her presence.

Dad wasn't an expert, but like me, he had a knack for craftsmanship and knew what to look for. He thought the house was good, although there was a lot that needed to be done. Nevertheless, he took plenty of photos of every corner inside and outside and also of the roof structure to show it to an architect friend of him and my uncle Theo, who was a master bricklayer - so that he could get expert opinions on it too.

I didn't tell Sarah about it at first. I wanted to surprise her with it. Hopefully it would also be a positive surprise for her and she wouldn't leave me because she thought I was crazy for buying a house that had been vacant since the owner died 17 years ago.

But today was the big day when I would tell her - or should I call it confession? Because I had just been to the real estate agent in Newtown and signed the purchase contract. Now I just came from the bank and had arranged everything so that the purchase price was transferred to the agent. Now all I had to do was let Sarah in on it and I couldn't wait to hear what she had to say.

It had been a little over two weeks since I spotted the sale in the window the day after Halloween, and I had spoken to Dad and my uncle on the phone countless times. So I had at least some excitement in my private life, while things were relatively quiet at work.

We hadn't had any major work in Tonypridd and last week, out of sheer boredom, we even picked out the Christmas decorations to check whether everything was OK or whether something needed repairs, while there was really something going on in Pontypandy, according to Susen. From lost hikers in the mountains to sailors lost at sea, they had been on countless missions and unfortunately nothing with that they could have needed our support.

I hadn't blabbed to Penny as much as I had that morning when I was helping to clean up in the park. Cody hadn't given any indication that he knew anything about the fact that he was about to become a big brother and the mayor more or less stayed away from both the station and Penny's house. He had stood in the doorway at her house two days after Halloween and wanted to talk to her, but she had told him quite clearly that she was mad at him for making such an appearance and getting her a night in jail and had also offended her in front of everyone with his accusations and plans.

Cody and I had been peeking out from behind my door because we were playing Mario Wonder when the mayor came. When she then pretty consistently asked him to leave and after the third request he actually left with his shoulders slumped, Cody and I were so happy that we hugged each other briefly and finally high-fived - at exactly that moment when Penny did opened the door to get Cody to go to bed. She certainly didn't believe the excuse that we had completed a difficult level, after her skeptical look at my television, where it boldly said that the game was paused. But at least she didn't say anything else about it.