𝐨𝐧𝐞

I'M IN THE BIRG OF MY SHIP ABOUT TO REPLENISH MY ABILITIES, when someone comes below deck.

The person walks in to my line of view and I see my first mate walking towards my cell.

"Captain, the Pirate Queen is here" Cassie, my first mate, tells me.

Thank god I hadn't taken any water in when she came down, otherwise the siren wouldn't have understood her.

"Do I ask her to come down or will you come up?" Cassie asks.

"I'll come up. Better not have my mother waiting for too long" I say, "Now please unlock the cell."

I use my mother's old cushioned cell for the same reasons she did. To replenish our siren's song with sea water and to let the siren out.

Cassandra opens the cell door and I walk out. When I get up on the deck, I see my mother chatting with Niridia, her own first mate and my aunt.

"Mother, aunt Niridia" I greet them both with a nod.

"Eloise, I have a mission for you" my mother says. Straight to business, I see.

"Alright. What it is?" I ask her.

"I need you to get something for me from the Fearless Dragon"  my mother says as she turns from me to Niridia. She holds out an hand to Niridia who hand her something, then she turns back to me and hands me the piece of parchment paper that she got from Niridia.

"That holds all the details you need" the Pirate Queen says, "Do not let anyone else see it but yourself and your first mate, do you understand?"

"Aye" I reply.

Mother nods, pleased with my answer, "Good."

⋆──❦︎──⋆

"Have you remembered to replenish your song since our last meeting?" mother asks, "Your eyes aren't blue anymore, they're back to green."

I look at her, "I was about to replenish my abilities when you arrived. And it seems like yours also needs some filling."

Mother shakes her head at me, "I'll do it back on my own boat with your father."

My father, Riden Allemos, and my mother met on his brothers ship where mother was captive and, well, they fell in love.

My father is the only one who can keep my mother's siren beneath the surface when she replenishes her abilities. I have no one, at least not yet, so I never look forward to replenishing my abilities. Whenever I do replenish them, I need to be locked in my cushioned cell without so that the siren can't hurt anyone and so that she can't escape the ship.

After a few seconds of silence my mother turns back to me, "Do you want me to be with you while you replenish your song?" she asks and I look at her. She has a soft look on her face and her eyes have a shine of understanding in them. She feels bad for me.  She feels bad because she doesn't have to let her siren come out like I do. She feels bad for what I have to go through when it's time to replenish my song.

Mother waits patiently for my answer. And after a minute I give it to her, "I'd like that, yeah." She nods in understanding and we head down to my cell. Once we reach my cell, I make sure that I have no weapons, hairpins or anything else that can help me escape, on me.

I take off my corset so that I'm just left in my white blouse. A bad choice but there won't be anyone to see it get wet. Except my mother, of course. Then I slide off my boots and hand them to my mother along with my corset.

I hear footsteps come below deck. They near my cell and I see Cassie and aunt Niridia carrying two buckets of water each. "Have the men on both ships covered their ears?" I ask. And since mother's ship is next to ours, I have to make sure that the men there, especially my father, will be safe from my song.

Cassie speaks up, "Aye, our men have their ears covered." Me and my mother turn towards Niridia. "Our men also have their ears covered. And Riden is on the ava-lee." my aunt tells both my mother and I.

Mother shakes her head, "That man cannot follow orders then." Niridia looks at her captain, "Well both his wife and daughter are on this ship so I don't blame him" she says before going back up on the deck. Cassie locks my cell door and hands the key to my mother before following after Niridia.

"Are you ready?" I hear my mother's voice ask me and I nod. I turn towards the buckets of sea water on my cell floor and walk up to one of them. I crouch down on the floor and put my hand in the bucket. I close my eyes and start to take in as much water as I can and let the siren out.

I open my eyes after I'm done. I can see every crevice in the wood and hear all of the humans on top of me. I also sense the sea below me. I'm trapped. I'm trapped by humans.

I look around the cage and notice a human standing just outside of it. I sing to try and get out and back in to the sea that's calling me. The human just shakes their head and I notice that it's a woman. My song doesn't work on women. I feel many men on the ship and around me but none of them answer to my song. I claw at the bars of the cell I'm locked in, trying to get out, but it doesn't work. Then I snap my head towards the sound of footsteps coming down and towards me and the human.

Another human. This one is a man. I try to sing to him but he also just shakes his head and stops next to the woman outside of my cell. I snarl at them, annoyed that I'm not able to enchant them with my song. I go back to the buckets and take in more water. I then try to sing some more to see if anyone can hear it.

⋆──❦︎──⋆

I wake up on the soft cushions of my cell and turn my head towards the cell door where I see both my mother and father standing. "Good morning, princess" my father greets me. He has always called me princess. His little princess. I smile towards him and my mother, "Good morning."

I stand up and look inside the buckets, three empty and one full. "You had a busy night, sweet girl" my mother tells me, "Tried to get your father under your song many times before you gave up." I look at my father apogetically, knowing how he doesn't like being controlled even though I couldn't get him under my song. He just shakes his head to say 'it's okay.'

My mother hands me my boots and corset from the day before and I put them on before she unlocks my cells door. I walk out and start heading back up on the deck. Both of my parents follow closely behind.

When I'm up on the deck I turn to my parents and hug them both as a bye and pull away. I'm about to start heading to my room when I hear my mother say, "Remember your mission." After that, my parents head back on to the sirens kiss.

This mission is going to be a long one, I think as I walk to my room.

not edited

word count: 1280