Chapter one - Another day in paradise

The morning sun filtered through the blinds as Caleb Jacobs dragged himself out of bed, his body still heavy with sleep

The morning sun filtered through the blinds as Caleb Jacobs dragged himself out of bed, his body still heavy with sleep. The remnants of last night's argument with his father hung in the air like a dark cloud, casting a pall over the start of his day.

As he shuffled into the kitchen, Caleb's father sat at the table, his face etched with anger. "Late again, Caleb? You're becoming just like your worthless brother," he sneered, his words dripping with disdain.

Caleb clenched his jaw, refusing to rise to his father's bait. "I was up late studying," he shot back, his tone defiant.

But his father wasn't having it. "Don't you dare talk back to me, boy," he growled, his voice rising with each word. "You're a disappointment, Caleb. Always have been, always will be."

With a frustrated sigh, Caleb grabbed a granola bar and headed for the door, his mind already racing with thoughts of escape.

"Look who finally decided to join the land of the living," Max teased, nudging Caleb playfully.

"Hey, I'm fashionably late," Caleb quipped, taking a drag from his cigarette.

"But seriously are you okay? You look like hell" Maxine nodded with an concerned look.

"What can I say my dad wasn't really in mood this morning." Caleb continued.

As they walked to school, Maxine couldn't help but comment on Caleb's choice of reading material. "Seriously, Caleb? A book?" she exclaimed, her eyebrows shooting up in surprise.

Caleb shrugged, a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "What can I say? I'm a man of many talents," he replied, flashing the cover of the book for emphasis.

Caleb Jacobs strolled down the bustling corridors of East Highland High, his gaze sweeping over the familiar faces of his classmates.

First, there was Nate Jacobs, Caleb's twin brother and resident golden boy. Nate sauntered past, his cocky grin firmly in place as he exchanged banter with his entourage of jocks.

"Morning, bro," Nate greeted, flashing Caleb a half-hearted nod.

Caleb rolled his eyes, unimpressed by Nate's usual bravado. "Morning, Nate. Try not to trip over your ego," he shot back, earning a snicker from one of Nate's lackeys.

"Hey! That's mine buy your own" Nate yelled with an irritated look, while Caleb walked down the corridor, taking a big bet from the chocolate bar.

Next, he spotted Maddy Perez, the quintessential queen bee, strutting down the hallway with her posse of equally glamorous girls in tow. Her perfectly manicured nails tapped out a rhythm against her phone screen as she chattered animatedly.