Chapter 20: Antonio

Moises Brown had no idea what he'd gotten himself into

"Let her go," Donnie shouted amidst the other officers trying to cajole Moises to let Rosa Flores go.

"Este tipo no tiene idea con quién se está metiendo," Rosa scoffed.

"She's right," Rowena agreed. Her arms were stretched out in front of her as if she were trying to calm Moises down.

"Speak English!" Moises demanded.

"Vete a la mierda!" Rosa hissed.

"Moises, she said you have no idea who you're messing with," Rowena told him. "She looks frail but she's scrappy."

Moises laughed. "I can take her. She's just an old lady."

His eyes kept darting to the officers outside the cell. Rowena frowned. She could control Moises if he'd just look into her eyes.

"I don't know," Jeremiah said thoughtfully. "I've learned never to underestimate Rowena or her family."

The other jailmates nodded.

"Do you know how many times Rowena has been arrested?" A brown-haired woman, dressed like a prostitute wearing black knee high boots and a hot pink mini-dress, said. "We see her at least once a month. Who knows how many times her grandma has been here. She looks so old it's probably before jail cells were even invented."

Despite being held by Moises, Rosa held up her hand and flashed the brunette her middle finger.

Jeremiah swallowed a chuckle.

"She killed my mother!" Moises shouted.

"I wish!" Rosa shouted.

"Rosa, that's not helping," Jeremiah groaned.

"Look at me, Moises!" Rowena demanded.

Moises ignored her, snarling in Rosa's ear, "I'll snap your neck."

Rosa smirked. "¿Crees que sí?"

Moises didn't get a chance to respond. Rosa twisted Moises' arm across her chest and flipped him onto the ground and flat on his back.

Moises made a wheezing sound before Rowena's grandmother began pummeling him with her bony fists.

Everyone watched in shock and silence as Rosa stood up from an unconscious Moises. She dusted herself off and spit on his chest.

"Abuela?" Rowena croaked.

"That's how we handled things when I was your age," Rosa told her with a nod.

Donnie entered the jail cell first.
"How did you flip him over your shoulder like that, Rosa? And why do you also have hand drawn teardrops on your face?"

Rosa ignored him, looking at Rowena. "I did not kill his mother. I'm being framed! Did I want her dead? Yes. But that doesn't mean I killed her."

"Rosa!" Donnie chastised. "Don't say that!"

"¿Por qué no? Why not? It's the truth. It's also the truth to say I want to be rich. That doesn't mean I'm going to rob a bank."

"That's a good point," Jeremiah agreed.

"I want to be rich too," the brunette in the pink mini-dress said. "That doesn't mean I'd do anything for money."

The brunette's friend, a redhead wearing leather pasties and a pair of matching shorts looked at her askance. "Bambi, you're a hooker."

Bambi frowned. "So?"

Jeremiah sighed and shook his head at the two ladies of the night. "No judgement from me but that's kind of the definition of doing anything for money."

"Can we please stop talking about hooking and focus on what's important here?" Rowena shrieked. "My abuela knows how to kick some ass and never shared that with me! I thought she was a bully but I didn't know she could fight like she was in Mortal Combat."

"That was not a Mortal Combat move," Bambi muttered.

"No one asked you, Bambi!" Rowena snapped.

"That's what you're upset about?" Donnie asked. "Not the fact that your grandma just pulverized this guy's face and is facing possible murder charges?"

"That was self-defense," Jeremiah piped in. Bambi and her friend in pasties, nodded.

The other officers dragged Moises still in his dress, out of the cell, questioning how anyone believed he was a woman.

"I expect you to treat him like a possible suspect," Rowena ordered Donnie while staring deeply into his eyes.

"Of course we will," Donnie agreed.

"And I need you to let me, Jeremiah, and my abuela out of this cell," Rowena added.

"Anything you say," Donnie said, nodding.

"No," Rosa disagreed. "I'd rather stay here while you and the boy toy in short shorts here look for clues.

"I'm not a boy toy," Jeremiah huffed.

"Abuela," Rowena started to argue.

"No. It's been awhile since I've been behind bars," Rosa admitted. "I've grown soft. This will help toughen me up."

"You've really been in a cell before?" Rowena asked.

Rosa nodded with a faraway look in her eyes. "The last time was when  my husband Santiago was being threatened by the Mexican cartel and one of the higher ranking men wanted me to be his mistress."

Rowena frowned. "Abuelo's name was Jorge. Who's Santiago? Abuela, were you married more than once? And were you someone's mistress?!"

Rosa's eyes widened. "Shhh...we do not speak of those times."

"Rowena, we really need to get going," Donnie urged.

"We can go to the nursing home and get more clues. You said the owner seemed sketchy. Maybe I can seduce her," Jeremiah suggested. "Now that Moises is in custody, we'll be able to get more information on his girlfriend."

Rowena nodded, looking back at Rosa. "Don't worry. I'll free you from this cage. I won't  let anyone frame you for murder. I love you and I won't let anything happen to you."

Rosa nodded sadly. "Sí. Those are the same words Antonio once said to me."

Jeremiah dragged a confused Rowena who screeched, "Who the hell is Antonio?"