14

Rain poured down as Neriah ran with Kira through Beacon Hills High School, listening for the last of Satomi's pack that they needed to find and help. It had only been a few hours since the attempted kill at the bonfire, and Neriah was glad of the rain that felt gentle against her skin that still had flakes of blood.

"Wait!" Neriah said, grabbing Kira's arm as she halted near the lacrosse field, hearing the distant voice of a young girl.

Ahead of them from where they could see, all the lights turned on around the lacrosse field.

"Lacrosse field," Neriah said, starting to run again. "That's where one of them is."

Kira only nodded, following after her with her katana held tightly in her hand. The pair jumped over a wall before reaching the back of the lacrosse field and coming to a sudden stop at two figures standing in the middle as lasers pointed toward them.

"Brett," the younger girl said and Neriah quickly remembered the boy she'd helped from another assassin. "Brett, what's happening?"

"Close your eyes," Brett instructed her.

"Get them to your car and I'll meet you at the clinic," Kira whispered, raising her katana.

"If anything goes wrong, call me and I'll turn the hell around," Neriah sharply said.

The two girls shared a look before sprinting on the field behind Brett and the young girl. Just as an arrow shot toward Brett, Kira swung her katana, cutting the arrow in half while Neriah grabbed Brett's shoulder and the young girls.

"Run!" Kira shouted at them.

"Come on!" Neriah added, pulling the two werewolves.

Brett whirled around; confusion clear on his face when he recognized Neriah's face under her drenched hair. A second later, he was following her off the field while holding the young girl's hand.

"Where are we going?" Brett shouted, taking a sharp left turn behind her, toward the car park.

"To where Satomi is!" Neriah yelled, pulling her car keys out of her pocket. "The last of your pack is there!"

Brett pulled the girl to go faster just as they entered the parking lot and Neriah unlocked the Chevrolet Silverado Braeden told her to use, the headlights flashing once.

"How do we know we can trust you?" Brett asked, slowing down when Neriah reached the driver's door.

Neriah groaned, opening her door while facing them with red eyes. "Because we're all being hunted which means we all need to stick together."

Brett looked down at the younger girl and then nodded, opening the back door for her as Neriah got into the driver's seat, and started the truck. Quickly, Brett climbed into the passenger and barely had time to close his door before Neriah started speeding out of the school parking lot while turning the heat up.

"There's a few blankets on the floor behind my seat," she instructed the younger girl, taking a turn on the road. "Get yourselves warmed up and there's chips down there too."

The younger girl nodded, grabbing a blanket that she passed to Brett before wrapping one around herself.

"Are you two okay?" Neriah glanced at Brett who was watching her and then she glanced back at the shaking young girl. "Any injuries?"

"Nothing major," Brett quietly said, finally looking away from her as he pulled the blanket over his shoulders. "What are you?"

Neriah raised a brow, focusing on the road. "An Alpha. Thought that was obvious by the red eyes."