Chapter Three: Tribute Parade

~Sarah's P.O.V.~

They washed me up and the warm water felt amazing against my skin, the waxing not so much, but beauty wasn't much of a thing back in District 12. We only cared about not starving to death. Guess I also had hairy legs too. They trimmed my hair a little but my hair was long, dark and beautiful just likes my moms. They'd clean us up for the tribute parade, which is were we take a chariot from the Remake Center to the city square outside the President's mansion. We had to make an impression but District 12 usually didn't since the stylist don't really care about us. I didn't think this year was gonna be any different. 

Finally I was in a room waiting for my stylist, I was nervous and a bit skeptical, I'm not good at making friends. Then someone walked into the room, a younger woman maybe in her early 20s, dark skinned with dreads and someone who did not look like they were from the Capitol. The only odd thing was the gold eyeliner. 

"My name is Harriet."

"Sarah."

We shook hands. 

Harriet sat down in a chair across from me. "I'm sorry that this happened to you, I'm here to help you in anyway I can." 

"Most people just congratulate me." I muttered. 

"I don't see the point in that. So tonight they have the tribute parade. I'm gonna take you out and show you off to the world." 

I sighed. "So you're here to make me look pretty?"

Harriet smiled. "I'm here to help you make an impression, also if I did wanna make you look pretty it wouldn't take much work. You're dark hair, pale skin, hazel eyes. Sarah. Trust me you are absolutely stunning. They typically dress people in the clothes from there district." 

"Yeah, we're always coal miners." 

"Yeah but I don't wanna do that, I wanna do something that there gonna remember. Did they explain about trying to get sponsors?" Harriet asked. 

I nodded. "Yeah, but I'm not very good at making friends." 

"We'll see." 

~Minho's P.O.V.~

It was time, the tribute parade, where we had to act like we wanted to be here. And make a good impression on the potential sponsors. I wasn't nervous, I just didn't like the idea of being paraded around. But it was part of the whole celebration element of the Games, which is stupid and pathetic really. My stylist, Portia said I was attractive and female sponsors would notice me. I didn't wanna be noticed just because I looked nice. I'm not saying I don't look pretty, I know I'm hot, but when it might be the main thing that keeps me alive seems silly. 

We didn't end up in coal miner get up, instead I ended up wearing a black leather suit, Sarah was in a long black dress. Both of us had red, yellow and orange capes that would egnite with fake fire Portia and Harriet designed themselves. I just hoped we didn't end up being barbecued before we made it to the cities center. We got to ride chariots, fun. 

I admit when Sarah first walked out, I froze, she was even more stunning than usual. She was clean from head to toe, not wearing old dirty clothes. Her face not covered in coal dust. Her long dark hair was shiny. I wasn't the only attractive one. 

"Heads high and don't forget to smile." Portia said cheerfully. "They are going to love you." 

I nodded then we were one our way, people cheered and screamed as we all existed the stable, the horses were trained so well no one needed to guide them. We all went in order so District 1 was in front while District 12 was in the back. But with our capes ignited people noticed us alright, Sarah volunteering for her sister gets her noticed, they love her. As for me, they just think I'm handsome. They probably also think me and Sarah look good together. Which we kinda do. 

I try to grab her hand but she shakes me off and looks at me, startled. "Come on, they'll love it."

She nodded and our hands shot up in unison, I had to hold on to keep from falling, but the crowd cheered louder. District 12 wasn't gonna be overlooked this year, especially not after what Sarah did for her sister. Risking your life is a huge thing even for family.

Finally we arrived at the cities center, President Paige was there she was a middle aged woman and hasn't been president long. All I know is she's mean and the Hunger Games to her is like religion and she takes it very seriously. She's also killed a lot of people. Not just because of the Games. 

"Welcome," President Paige quieted down the crowd. "Welcome. Tributes, we welcome you. We salute your courage and your sacrifice. And we wish you. Happy Hunger Games and...may the odds be ever in your favor."

The doors have only just shut behind us when we're engulfed by the prep teams, who are nearly unintelligible as they babble out praise. As I glance around, I notice a lot of the other tributes areshooting us dirty looks, which confirms what I've suspected, we've literally outshone them all. Then Harriet and Portia are there, helping us down from the chariot, carefully removing our flaming capes. Portia extinguishes them with some kind of spray from a canister.

"We are all anyone's going to be talking about." Effie squeals. 

"So brave." Jorge chimed in. 

"Are you sure you be near an open flame?" I asked. 

"Fake flame," Jorge answered. "Are you sure you--" he stops. The boy from District 2, the guy with the weird eyebrows is glaring at us. "Let's go upstairs." 

~

It's so weird being a place that fancy and huge, but there's hair products galore so I can stay the hottest and the baddest while also trying to get through training. My own room is bigger than my house, which is crazy. The bed so comfy I don't even wanna move, I could stay here forever. Well, at least before I die I know I'd have gotten to live like royalty. Which I totally deserve. 

Sarah stands in the doorway of my room, "hey." 

"What are you doing here?" I asked. 

She sighed. "Just...looking around." 

"You miss home?"

"Little bit, just my family I guess, you?"

I sat on my bed, the comforter was made of velvet. I thought about it for a moment. "I've lived in the community home most of my life. So not really." 

"Oh yeah, I forgot." Weirdly she sat next to me. "I hate to ask, but how'd you end up there?" 

I didn't mind her asking. When other people did I just said that my parents died when I was young. "Simple, my dad died in the mines. And my mother died right after I was born. I think it was from infection or something like that. Most of the kids at the home can't stand me because I act like I'm better than them."

Sarah stared at me for a long moment. "You don't seem like the bragging type?" 

"Funny."

"If you were home, what would you being doing right now?" She asked. 

"Either sleeping or getting yelled at, believe me the kids at the home will do anything to anyone. I've gotten into a few fights before."

She smiled, for the first time since before the reaping. "Well I'd probably be watching the highlights from the parade. But were here."

"Look, Sarah, what you did for your sister was amazing the amount of courage and sacrifice that must've took...I can't even begin to imagine. I understand the reason for someone who has no family or friends."

She shook her head. "I just did what anyone else would've done."

"Did you see the kid from eleven? I think his name's Chuck."

Sarah nodded. "Oh yeah, poor kid, I can't imagine. He kinda reminds me of my sister because he's small and quiet like she is."

"Makes me wish I had a brother."