i. new girl

S2 EP1

Blair was sat across from Preston, holding a pen as she squinted at the paper. She had signed so many forms she wasn't sure how much more she could write. Seriously, why would a surgeon need a release form - this isn't summer camp.

Either way, she got a free Seattle Grace tee-shirt, along with the blue pen. Drawing a little heart over the 'i' in 'Blair', she placed the belongings inside her backpack, letting out a dry laugh. "There's.. a lot of paperwork."

"I know." So serious for what, she thought to herself. "Dr. Bailey should be here any moment." He glanced at the clock, lowering his glasses slightly.

Blair kicked back her feet, looking around the office. "So, they made you Chief of Surgery and you didn't tell me?" A light smirk crawled across her lips, and the man shook his head.

"Interim. There was nothing to tell." His voice was laced with a hint of.. coldness? Something she couldn't quite place, though that might've just been his natural voice.

"Well, you should keep your favorite cousin updated.." She shrugged a shoulder, wondering what other secrets the man was keeping. Couldn't be too many, he could never keep a secret to save his life; he was like a black George Washington cherry tree type of kid.

He was a cousin on her mother's side - the McCoy side. His mom, or Aunt Jane, as Blair knew her, was Andrea's older sister - whom she strongly disliked. Patriarchal attitudes and whatnot, but she had always had a rather interesting relationship with Preston.

"You're one of my only, I'm not sure that makes you the favorite." He chucked, setting the stack of papers inside a file. Blair scoffed, leaning over to lightly smack his shoulder, "Rude. And untrue."

The door swung open, and while Blair looked up, she should've been looking down. Her short resident was standing in the door, arms crossed and frown already present. She couldn't help but feel as though the woman was disappointed, though they hadn't even introduced themselves.

"Well, are you just gonna sit there and stare? You aren't the first person to call me short." Bailey huffed, and Blair could've sworn her older cousin was laughing at her. Blair quickly got up, extending a cautious hand for Bailey to shake.

After an awkward moment of silence, the resident hesistantly shook her hand. "We'll be late for rounds, Dr..." She waited for a response, and Blair's eyes shot open. "McCoy is fine." She smiled.

One thing she didn't need anyone to know - was her Avery status. Contrary to popular belief, it didn't help for anything besides nepotism allegations, and while McCoy was also a big name in the medical field, it wasn't anything compared to Grandpa Harper Avery.

Bailey looked her up and down at the mention of her name, though her expression remained indifferent. Quickly, they took off, Bailey reciting some rules about how she hated Blair and on-call room sex - it was hard to pay attention, being in a new setting and all.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"DID YOU GUYS HEAR ABOUT THE NEW GIRL?" Cristina questioned her fellow interns, looking up from the paper pad she had mindlessly been scribbling on as they waited.

"I saw her walking in, dude, she's hot." Alex spun on his chair, and Cristina hummed in disapproval. "Is she a model? Because one of those is one too much."

Izzie smiled softly, holding her chin in her hands. "I think another wouldn't be too bad. But, she's royalty. I was talking to one of the nurses and she said that her name was Avery-McCoy."