Chapter 5: Sean

Day of Sandra Park's 20th anniversary

Today is the day. I'm nervous, but this is what I have to do for myself and the company. Most importantly for Mum. It is still bright and early, however, we already started getting ready at the house for the arrival of guests.

"Sean. Come down. Your Unnie is here!." Mum's voice echoed the living room.

"Unnie? Unnie, since when did you have an Unnie?" Alice asked.

"Don't worry about it. It's your crush. Mum just likes to call her my Unnie because she's older and played as Mother's on-screen daughter for 'Lullabies'."

I walked out and saw her. For someone who is a few years older than me, she looks like she could be younger than me. It must be the Botox.

"Hi, Sean. I hope you don't mind for me to be a little early. I wanted to see if I can help you with anything." Janet said.

"Oh dear. You did not have to. We already have so many people helping us set up already. Maybe you can get a tour of the house with Sean. She needs to take her mind off this for a while." Mum stepped in. "Sean, take Unnie around. Maybe you could go to my room and your room. She hasn't met you for a while, show some pictures."

"Ok Mum..." I felt like I had to comply because I needed a break as well.

She followed me and we got to Mum's room. "This is Mum's room. Well it used to be Mother's, and still feels like Mother's. Mum refused to change anything."

"Wow. Aunt Tiffany must really miss Eomma to have kept everything the same. I am jealous of what they have."

"Of course. I can't imagine losing my best friend. They were always together, then one day, Mother was no longer with her."

Why is she always saying she is jealous? What a weird thing to say.

"I don't even know why Mum is making me give you a tour of my room. There's nothing special. But I guess I have to follow her words." I said as we entered my room.

She walked over to NiNi the bear. "You still have it? It's been so long."

"Yeah. Mother gave it to me one day after her shoot. Never thought about throwing it away."

"Oh I'm glad you still have it. I remember giving it to Eomma to give to you. I wasn't sure if you would accept it knowing that it was a gift from me." A gift from her? NiNi? I thought it was Mother's gift? "I guess she didn't tell you the truth. She must have known that you would not have accepted it either."

We walked back down. "Right. I wasn't sure if I should ask you, but are your parents joining today? I didn't ask Mum." I asked Janet.

"My dad is in LA right now. He had some urgent stuff and told me to send regards to you and your family." She did not saying anything about her mum, but I did not want to pry.

"So, did you see NiNi?" Mum asked Janet.

"Oh yes, I did. Never thought I would see her."

"She loves that doll to death. Thanks for gifting it to her back then." They both giggled. "Oh. Let's go to the front. People are coming in."

We all stood at the entrance, the whole family included. My nerves kicked in as it started to feel real. Janet squeezed my hand, which made me jump. After a few minutes, it became normal and I was no longer nervous. I quickly let go of my hand and saw the teasing looks that Alice gave me. That brat is seriously never going to grow up.

It was time for the memorial to start. We started out with speeches from my grandparents. Later, was a slideshow of Mother alongside the soundtrack of 'Lullabies'. There were pictures of her from when she was young, with pictures of her with members of our family, Mum and somehow Janet. There were some pictures with some of her close friends as well. I could sense that the room was getting tense and everyone was tearing up, myself included.

The slideshow ended and it was Mum's turn to say a speech before I would be introduced.