Epilogue

There are several different ways things could have happened but there could only be one choice to be made out of all the possibilities. As usual, that choice was taken away and turned into an order but, this was the life.

The life of a Corleone was always decided by one person and one person only.

"You will marry and you will not speak against it."

"Sir, If we cou--"

"Mr. Shelby," Amadeus cut him off, leveling him with a glare so intense it was a wonder how Tommy didn't catch on fire. Tommy for his part, never liked being interrupted, you could see it from the way he clenched his jaw. "You will marry my daughter. You will make her your wife and you will do as you are told."

His jaw clenched even tighter and for a moment, I feared he was going to break his teeth.

I for my part, held my tongue as I always did when my papa gave an order. My hands clenched my skirt, my knuckles white, and an ache forming in the tips. I was never going to go without punishment but I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't another humiliating flogging - something I was dead set on from happening again.

"Especially since she gave your little organization here the family protection without consulting me."

I might still get a slapped cheek for that.

"Mr. Shelby, I have very angry families to deal with because of her mistake..." He was now leveling me with the same look he had given Thomas. "Sweet Isa... I can see why. He is a handsome man and his son carries his looks. You always were soft on a man with eyes like Thomas Shelby's and even more when it came to children. My dear, you've gotten us into a mess and it will be you who fixes it or I am afraid to say you've signed Small Heath's community death certificate."

My breath caught in my throat. I had let my emotions cloud my judgment. I had thought for a moment, I didn't have to be this... I could just be Bella protecting those I care for. I glanced over to find Tommy was now giving me that same look, that same infuriated look that he had given my papa.

He was still pissed at me for not telling the truth but one of Thomas Shelby's many faults was women. I was truly not all that different from Grace... Polly had been wrong about that. But Tommy... Tommy always knew. He saw it, maybe that's why he accepted me so easily. He knew I saw him for what he was, the only difference between Grace and I was I never tried to make him change or ask him to leave his family.

Because to the Shelby family, family meant something to them.

I meant something to them... To Tommy.

"You'll be married in three months time."

"Make it one," Tommy said. "She's carryin' me baby."