Part 1

Azula had not improved much over the past six months. Her hostility proved to be a challenge for those heading up psychiatric healing. She would only speak to fire benders, or those of the fire nation. Her eyes would be hot enough to burn metal and cause many people to leave the room. Her clear hatred for her brother, Zuko was evident and in her rage she would scream his name in anger. She didn't want to see anyone else. Mai and Ty Lee would be the only visitors who would come once a week to bring her comfort. Azula would be much harsher towards Mai because of her decision to be engaged to Zuko. Mai desired to share her happiness with her old friend but she never mentioned it and catered towards her tired and desperate friend.

At least Azula was no longer in shackles, but she did have specially made gloves that could not be removed by herself but by a special key to prevent fire bending. At first she was so depressed she did not eat or shower within the first week but as she stayed in her room, large at the request of the king, she made the decision within herself to keep going. Her father would never honor such a pathetic death. She kept her head high and ignored almost any instruction she received from those who worked there. Her fiery and rebellious spirit would not let her give in.

At the report given to Zuko of Azula's condition he rubbed his face in frustration and sadness. He had learned to forgive his sister in her most evil of times. He really just felt sorry for her and wished there was something he could do. He sought Aang's counsel on the matter and Katara sat with them to eat one evening. Mai was not there, she went to visit her mother.

"I want to make a difference with Azula but she's proving to me she doesn't want to resolve anything. She can't possibly want to be on that island forever," he took a bite of rice and glanced at Aang who sat in thoughtfulness for a moment.

"I don't see Azula improving much. It'll take years before she's even able to get off the island, she's harbored a lot of resentment over time. I'm not sure you could ever really trust her, sadly." Katara offered but Aang remained silent.

Katara recognized Aang's silence and questioned him.

"I was just thinking...aren't water benders naturally gifted in healing factors?" Aang asked as he mixed food in his bowl with his chopsticks.

"Well, yes..." Katara said with caution.

"What's your idea, Aang?" Zuko asked, intrigued by the wisdom.

"I recently visited the North Water tribe and met with a water bender who is a new spiritual leader there, perhaps he would be a great way to lead your sister onto a healing journey. He's experimented with soul healing and been successful on a few accounts. Azula suffers with a heaviness in her spirit and she needs guidance on how to move forward."

"Wow, I didn't know it went that deep, I do know that a healer mentioned wounds being more than physically deep but had no idea it went into soul healing," Katara spoke in wonder, realizing deeper capabilities.

Zuko thought for a minute, "I like the idea, but what makes you think he would agree to it? I mean, my sister is not the easiest to handle and would suffer a lot of verbal abuse if she decides to speak to him at all."

"I see your concern, but Kiyo is drawn to challenge. When I spoke with him, he seemed so at peace and kind. Many look up to him and have good things to say about his perseverance. I can send word out to him tomorrow and get a response if you wish it," he smiled at Zuko.

Zuko took a drink before responding.

"Very well, I think it's worth a shot," he nodded.

Katara looked intrigued, "I can't wait to meet him! Another water bender who could help me with healing!" Katara was starry eyed and they both laughed at her antics.