Chapter 13: Sean

I am quite surprised that my grandmother has yet to contact me. I thought that with me announcing my identity and clearly sending her a wedding invitation, she would come. But no, we're one week away and there has been no word from her.

"Honey. Can you get my bag from my room?" I asked Janet.

Today was the day I planned on proposing to her. Everything has been by word, but this time I will propose to her with a ring.

"So how are wedding plans? You should have let me help you." Mum questioned as I brought over some snacks and tea.

"It's going well. I can't believe we have one week." I replied.

"And only 5 days until you have to be away from Janet." Grandma jumped in.

"Right. I cannot see her one day before the ceremony. How fun. Why are you so adamant about us following that?" I nagged.

"Just because I'm forward thinking, it doesn't mean you should not follow tradition. Your mums went through the same thing."

"Oh I remember having to schedule everything for them. Your mother almost escaped the room when your mum was eating dinner. I almost gave in, but I didn't want to get killed by Mum." Aunt Sally laughed.

Janet came back down and was about to pass me my bag.

"Honey. Open the bag. Can you take out the red pouch, my hands are dirty from the mayonnaise." I guided her to find the ring.

She took out the red pouch and put it in front of me.

"Open it. I don't want to get it dirty."

"Why don't you just clean your hands?" Janet was irritated.

"Just open it, please?"

She opened it and stood there for a few seconds. So I decided to take the ring from her and held her hands.

"Janet Kim. I know we made a promise to marry each other, and we will be doing so in a week. It feels uneasy that I did not get you a ring, but will you accept this ring that belonged to my mother, and marry me?"

"Yes!"