Chapter 14: Janet

"Yes!" I responded to her proposal.

She placed the ring on my finger and we kissed. We could hear the camera shutter from Aunt Sally's phone, but we did not stop. I never thought she would do this. Maybe it was not a good time to tell her about me meeting her grandmother.

Earlier in the day

I was stepping out of the company to get in the van, when all of a sudden I see a car parked beside it.

"Get in my car." The old woman said.

My manager tried to stop me, but I assured her that I will be ok, and not to tell Sean just yet.

"I don't know if you've been told, but I am your future mother-in-law's mother. All these years she kept that child alive without my knowledge. Now, her daughter is getting married to the daughter of the man that I wanted her to marry. Why did she raise a child that turned out like her? Sinful and in love with an actress. If she wasn't a public figure, I could've pretended it wasn't sinful." She nagged.

"Madam Lee. I am sorry, but there's nothing sinful about their relationship, nor my relationship with your granddaughter. Sean was actually hopeful that you could understand for once, but seeing that you are here, there must be something you are thinking of doing."

"You sure are smart. I will attend your wedding, but the catch is that there will be a surprise."

Present

Her words keep on playing in my head. What does she mean by surprise? Maybe I should talk with Mum instead of Sean.

"Mum can I talk with you for a second?"

"Sure dear." She agreed.

"Grandmother Lee showed up in front of the building and said that she will be attending the wedding. She also said that she will be bringing a surprise."

"Surprise? When is she going to stop?"

"I was going to tell Sean, but I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to talk about it now."

"Good job, my child. Knowing Sean, she would try to go up against my mother. And my mother is not someone I want Sean to interact with. Let me ask around and keep quiet about it."