Chapter 1

The first dance

Vaera Targaryen was a bastard - an eldest daughter of a Rouge Prince. She knew that at Court did not wait for Daemon, but also remembered her kind uncle Viserys. When he died, a girl came back to the Red Castle with her father, and found out quite significant changes. 

Sidelong glances of Queen Alicent and her eldest son Aegon didn't cause outrage - she was used to it. She only observed how father smiling to princess Rhaenyra, and herself looking around Greens. 

They're wierd. So wierd. Even too much. But the Queen does not look as evil as they whisper about her. She puckers her lips in disbelief, squints her eyes, and leaves the room.

Vaera felt a gaze of youngest lady Hightower's son, Aemond Targaryen. White-haired young man with grey-green eye looked at his cousin with interest. Lady studied him too. 

How wierd he is, - she thought, - maybe not so normal, although appearance can be deceiving. 

Daemon came up to his daughter; she even didnt notice that he departed. 

"I've made a deal with Alicent, dear. We will live in a castle for some time, you can consider it like a little holiday from Steps". 

"But how?You're the "Rouge Prince" and I'm the "Dirty Princess", right?"

"Alicent respected my brother, and that's why we still here. I don't really want to make Her Majesty angry. Whatever, she is still the queen mother".

"But Aegon is not a king", Vaera crossed her arms over her chest.

"No, but it is quite likely that it will become one. Perhaps. And if not, Rhaenyra has every right to the throne".

"And you'll help her ascend the throne. Say honestly, you came back because of her? For her?" 

The blond touched the girl's shoulder, acknowledging with a smile that his daughter was right. Vaera's eyes softened - she loved her father, after all.

"My beautiful girl, don't worry about anything. This is your home too"

'Yes, for now. But when princess had wore the crown, she may well get rid of me...I just want to be with you"

"You will, necessarily will", he hugged her, "Rhaenyra grows up, she understand more now"

 Vaera sighed, but did not argue. The girl's attention returned to Prince Aemond, who dared to come closer. 

"Good evening, my lady", he nodded, "Her Grace had attend me that you will live here with your father"

"Yes, your mother let us. Maybe I should thanks her..."

The blond smiled at the corners of his lips. He looked a little strange with his eye patch, but she didn't want to keep the conversation going: she had grown up to be a rather distrustful person, and knowing the reputation of the Targaryen family, who had usurped the Iron Throne by any means necessary for so long, she doubted that anyone believed them at all.

"I bet mother will be glad to see you, when you get to know each other", guy said cautiously, "She is-", he hesitated a little, "She's not as bad as she may looks". 

The "Dirty Princess" shrugged her shoulders. She realised that the Queen's children's sympathies were always on the side of their mother, and smiled slightly:

"I hope so". 

In the afternoon, a few hours later, the dancing began. Vaera sat next to Princess Rhaenyra who was quite calm and friendly.

"You know, Luke seems to like you," she smiled at the girl.

"I like him too," the blonde looked at the boy, maybe 15 years old, and nodded slightly. "He and his older brother, Jacerys (or just Jace), were the same kind of bastards. But the boys were good, and she was not, at least no one considered her an "angel".

Frankly speaking, the guest was bored at the reception, but when the dancing began, the one-eyed prince got up from his seat. He cautiously approached the girl and held out his hand to her, while looking at Rhaenyra and Daemon.

"Are you going to let me kidnap your interlocutor, sister?"

"Of course, if your victim doesn't mind," the woman's smile grew a little wider.

 "Not at all," our heroine put her hand in the prince's and stood up, allowing her father and cousin to sit closer to each other, and she began to dance in the middle of the room.

 "Are you enjoying your dinner?" the prince asked quietly, leading her in a waltz. "I mean, tonight in general?"

 " Yes, quite a bit. To be honest, I've never liked such events..." he spun the girl slightly around her axis, "but I love dancing".

"I'm-I'm so glad you let me dance with you. Hope you are not afraid, ehm..."

"Should I be?", she laughed, "I don't think so. Maybe, we can talk later?"

"T-talk about what?"

"Um- anything-"

"I'll be so pleased", the dance was over. 

...

Rhaenyra watched her cousin came back to her chair.

"So?", Princess asked. 

"What?"

"Will you met my brother again?"

"Why not? He looks a bit nervous, but I woudn't mind being friends with him". 

The smile on Realm's Delight face was a little strange, but her sister don't  noticed it.