Him and I?

We had been living together for about a week by then, when it all happened. We went to work together that morning, and it was a mostly normal day. Mostly normal. Today was ok, but the memories of the past flooded my brain, made me feel like I was drowning in them. When closing time rolled around it was already dark, and I was exhausted, but the day wasn't over yet. I was sat on the curb outside the store as Ebros locked the door behind us, and I was completely caught up in my own thoughts, the streets so quiet and empty. I didn't even notice when Ebros sat beside me, till he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"You ready to go home dude?" He asked softly, trying not to startle me from my thoughts too fast. I looked over up at him, not even noticing the tears that had been cascading down my face. "Cassel?" Ebros pulled his hand away and sat there in shock for a few moments. Even though he'd seen me through a lot, he'd never seen me cry. He saw me after arguments and fights and losing my home, but today? Today was the anniversary of my mother's death. The first anniversary I wouldn't be going to see her with my father.

I turned away again, placing my head in my hands. I began to lose myself now, unable to calm down. "I'm sorry..." I murmured through my sobs. "Hey." Ebros said carefully, taking my hands from my face and pulling me closer to himself. "Hey, it's ok Cassel. You're ok." He told me as he held me tight. I sat there with him like this for what felt like forever, and something clicked in my brain. He was so warm. He just sat there and held me, no aggression or impatience. 

Oh god.... I love him.

"I'm so so-" I started, but was cut off . "Don't apologize, Cassel. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere." He said, letting me sit up and wipe away my tears. We sat there, just me and him. I felt, safe, and loved. Maybe for the first time ever, I felt loved like I think I'd always needed. I smiled weakly, and quietly explained what today was.

"If it's not pushing any boundaries, would you allow me to come with you?" Ebros asked me, and I nearly started to cry again. "Please." I said just as he finished. "Please come with me.". We smiled at each other for a moment and he helped me up off the floor. As we went up to the cemetery, he held my hand as we walked in silence. When we reached the cemetery gate, I broke the silence. "Ebros?" I asked quietly. "What's up, Cass." He answered, gripping my hand tightly. We carried on walking in silence for a few moments as I struggled to put my thoughts into words.

"Cassel." Ebros said, stopping in the middle of the path, and turning me to face him, "Talk to me... Please.". Even in the dark I'm sure he could see the look on my face. The look of fear mixed with disappointment, the look that told him everything that was going through my mind. He turned and started to walk back the way we'd come, letting go of my hand. I stood there, not sure what to say, till the words just decided for themselves.

"Ebros stop!" I shouted after him. Before he had the chance to react I carried on, the tears flooding my vision. "I love you! I think I've always loved you Ebros!" I screamed. "And I'm a coward! A bloody coward for never telling you, for never letting myself feel these things but I feel them now and Ebros..." I trailed off. I heard slow and soft footsteps draw closer and closer. "I'm still scared to feel these things, but I can't turn them off. I...". I felt him wrap his arms around me, his own tears dampening my shirt as he held his face against my shoulder. "I love you too, you big coward." He mumbled between sobs.