Chapter 4

Mallory

I take a sip of my drink, my gaze wandering across the enchanting backyard of Kylie's house. The refreshing evening breeze brushes against my skin, leaving me with a sense of calm. By my side, Adam sits close, his arm draped over my shoulders, and we share a tranquil moment together, absorbing the beauty of our surroundings. Every nerve in my body tingles at his tender touch, and my heart races with excitement, even though the unexpected appearance of Matt tonight, has left me with a sense of unease. 

"Matt is my ex-boyfriend," I finally break the silence, feeling a bit apprehensive about sharing this with Adam. 

"Yeah, I figured as much," he responds with a chuckle, holding me a little closer. His nonchalant reaction is reassuring, yet there's a subtle possessiveness in the way he grips me. 

"He broke up with me, it's been three months. I don't know what was all that, honestly. He wasn't even invited to the party. 

Adam's brows furrow in surprise, "He broke up with you?"

I nod, averting my gaze averted. "Yeah... he said that he wanted to experience college single. We were together for two years, and it seems that he decided that I was weighing him down." I shrug, trying to inject a touch of humor into the conversation, "Or that he wants to fuck anything with a pulse"

"Such an immature reason to end a relationship," he observes, gaze remaining serious.

"That's true" I sigh, with the mental image of Matt shaking Adam's hand still on my mind. "Oh god, I am so embarrassed." I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to chase the memory away. I was having such a great night, of course Matt would show up and ruin it. 

Adam quickly takes my glass and places it alongside his on the ground. His warm hands cup my cheeks, and he gently turns my head to face him, his eyes searching mine. 

"Embarrassed? What are you talking about?" he inquires.

"We just met and I was having such a great time with you..." I sigh, trying to explain my feelings. 

Adam's breath mingles with mine as he leans in closer, resting his forehead against mine. "Are you not having a great time right now?" he murmurs, his words sending a shiver down my spine. 

"I am" I admit, a faint smile appearing on my lips, "but it would be way better if my baggage hadn't showed up ten minutes after we met" I sigh and he chuckles.

"Mallory, I wouldn't change a thing about tonight" he sighs, his voice filled with sincerity. "You have a jealous ex, so what? You captivated me on first sight. I wanted to meet you and I want to get to know you, if you'll let me. Unless I am walking into a situation where you are too still in love with him and you end up with him. Is that the case?"

I shake my head again, relief washing over me. "No, it's not like that. I mean, I am not over it but I am over him. He hurt me too bad, I don't want anything to do with him. It hurts, but I don't want him back."

I watch as Adam studies my face, perhaps trying to gauge my sincerity. Please don't be discouraged, I silently pray. My heart had been aching for three months, and Adam managed to alleviate that pain in just a few minutes. 

"Yeah, I get that" he says and I take a breath feeling relieved. Adam's eyes soften, and he leans in to place a gentle kiss on my forehead. "Then we're on the same page, Mallory," he whispers. "Let's focus on making tonight unforgettable for all the right reasons."

I nod in agreement, a soft smile playing on my lips as Adam's words reassure me. He looks deeply into my eyes, his gaze filled with warmth and desire. His lips brush against mine, and in that moment, all my worries seem to fade away. The world around us seems to fade away as we share that first electrifying kiss, tender at first, a sweet exploration of each other's lips, but the intensity quickly escalating. I part my lips, inviting him in, and he responds with a hunger that matches my own. His velvety tongue teases mine, sending shivers down my spine.

My arms snake around his neck, pulling him closer as our bodies press against each other. His hands are gentle yet possessive, tracing a path along my back, sending electric waves of pleasure through me. Every touch, every caress, ignites a fire within me, and the world around us seems to blur into insignificance. 

As we kiss passionately, time seems to slow down, and I can't help but wonder how his skin would feel against mine. The tantalizing thought of our bodies entwined fills my mind, the urge to straddle him, to let our desires run wild, is almost overwhelming, but the reality of our surroundings keeps me grounded; we're in the backyard of Kylie's house, at her birthday party. We eventually break the kiss, both of us left breathless and with a shared hunger in our eyes.

Adam smirks, his eyes still locked on mine. "So, where were we before we got interrupted?" he asks, his voice low, gravely, laced with desire, as he sits back and pulls me close to him. I place my hand on his chest, my skin tingling at the sensation of the hard muscles beneath his shirt. 

He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear and cups my cheek, his gaze intense and filled with desire. His presence is magnetic, and suddenly, a rush of heat pools between my thighs. "You were getting us drinks" I manage to say, my voice slightly breathless, my eyes still fixed on his. His hands are on me, caressing my skin with a gentle yet firm touch, making me feel like putty in his arms. I wish tonight would never end, craving more of his kisses, his caresses, and the magnetic pull that binds us.

Adam chuckles softly, his fingers tracing a delicate pattern along my cheek. "Well, I am not doing that again. I wouldn't want to find you with another jealous ex." The throbbing between my thighs becomes unbearable as he drops his gaze to my lips and I watch him licking his. I can feel the warmth of his breath against my skin, and his proximity makes it hard to think straight.

He leans in closer, his voice a low, seductive murmur. "So, tell me about yourself, Mallory."