Chapter 1 - Welcome to Montefioralle

I stare out of the window of my Italian Cab looking like an incredibly dumbfounded American tourist. Wearing my grey airport sweats and matching hoodie, snapping pictures of anything even remotely interesting that I would never see back in the States.

The reason I ended up here was my impulsive life decisions leaving me in the back of a taxi on my way to my future home in the rural Tuscan mountains of Italy with no job, life plan, or stable bank account and far away from my home, my friends, my family. Yet with all those emotions splashing around in me, I felt the tingle of excitedness from the new chapter in my life.

Gazing outside I realized how beautiful Europe was compared to the polluted concrete metropolis of My home, New York City, instead of being stuck in traffic for hours, barely moving an inch. My taxi was driving with no other cars in sight passing, only the olive grows which perched in front of the rising sun, bursting with shades of orange, yellow, and red upon us. The postcard-worthy humble houses sat accompanying the Wildlife perfectly perched on top of the beautiful landscapes. Making, me wonder what else I haven't explored, and only seen on the Internet or stories from other people.

Glancing down at my phone I checked the time, it was 8 am and the jet lag hadn't taken its toll on me. This was my first time outside the Continent, and it was slightly daunting yet awakening for all the things I'd never seen and explored in the beautiful and vast world.

Whilst dreading the jetlag I was obnoxiously interrupted by the Italian gentleman saying:

"Signoria, we are almost arriving at your destination."

"Oh, awesome! Grazie mille, sir!" I attempted in my best Italian accent, seeing as I was going to live here, I was trying to become a local, he sighed at my attempt at Italian and muttered something under his breath about Foolish American Tourists. I can't blame him for being grumpy, it's 8 am and he hadn't even been on a nonstop flight from New York City to Florence airport for 10 Hours stuck in economy in the middle seat next to an American family with a bunch of howling children.

I shoved my phone into my pocket alongside the half-melted Twix bar which had somehow managed to survive the flight and get to Italy with me and looked outside indulging the views of the quaint village that was now my new home. Still in awe about the movie-like cottages we departed the main road which turned into an unpaved gravel road. Holding onto the door the bumpy road now glided alongside the large Traditional Tuscan Pine revealing small hints of an amazing view in the shrubbery's gaps. As the pathway began to get smaller and smaller the driver halted abruptly and said "Signora, we have arrived" Confused about where my new cottage was, I thanked the driver and got out of the car to investigate.

A breeze of warm air struck me as I soaked in the lovely views surrounding me - whilst the driver roughly placed my cases onto the ground. I had overpacked with 3 large heavy suitcases and two smaller ones along with my duffle bag which was slung over my shoulder. It was an odd thought that all my belongings had fit into such a small quantity of suitcases. But again, you can't own a lot In New York I paid the taxi driver with the Euros I had got from at the airport and stood in the dust of the car and its Driver who I was expecting to help me bring my suitcases up to my new humble abode, little did I expect that he had left, the rumble of the car fading back down the drive

As I started to wander down the road hauling one of the big cases which was bumping along the rough road; I couldn't help but feel a large sense of anticipation building within me, The journey had been long and rough but I was about to see my new home.

Nestled amidst the beautiful rolling Tuscan hills, the terracotta roof tiles peeked out from behind the large veils of tangled vines, its warm branches glimmering in the morning sun. As I went closer the scent of wild herbs and sun-kissed earth filled the air, sending the energy of new beginnings through me. The path that led up to the villa was lined with gnarled olive trees, with uncut branches working their way towards the cobblestoned path; The fragrant blossoms danced with different scents in my nostrils, making me want to inhale more of this new, yet familiar beautiful perfume. This house looked so much better than the pictures.