𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐀 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐄𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐫

Chapter 8: A Grand Entertainer

Annabeth walked toward the library after her session with her tutor. She loved learning and her brain was definitely one of her strengths, but having private lessons with a royal tutor felt so...suffocating. The library was one of her few happy places, something else she shared with her mother. There, she was free — free to learn what she wanted, think what she wanted, explore.

Her mother had also been the one to design the library. Athena was a queen and a warrior by day, but architecture was one of her many talents. She had taught Annabeth everything she knew about it. And Annabeth loved it. She loved architecture, how each individual piece of a building could come together and make something beautiful. It's what she would've pursued if she weren't in line for the throne. It would always be her passion, though. There was something so extraordinary about it.

When she got to the library, she picked up a random book. She had read practically every book in the library more than once. She knew exactly what to expect when she opened up any book, and yet, she went back to it every time.

She sat down at one of the tables, opened the book, and-

"How'd that date go, Princess?"

Annabeth turned her head toward the voice. Prince Percy Jackson. She looked back down at her book, but she wasn't reading. "Apparently news spreads fast around here," she commented. "But, if you must know, it was hardly a date. More like an introductory dinner."

"Pretty sure that's what a date entails," he said infuriatingly.

"Why does this matter so much, anyway?" she asked, becoming more annoyed as he stood there.

"No need to be so pressed," he said, holding his hands up in surrender. "Unless, of course, that anger is for a reason other than me?"

"Now what is that supposed to mean?" she asked, looking up from her book. He doesn't know how I feel about this whole marriage thing, does he?

"You're a smart girl," he said, a mischievous glint in his sea-green eyes. "You can figure it out."

What the hell?! "I have no clue what you mean," Annabeth said, looking back to her book. "Nor do I care about your hidden meanings." That was a lie, but she had an image to uphold.

"If you say so," he said, but he didn't walk away. Instead, he took a seat right next to her. He leaned back in his chair, spreading his legs until their knees were touching.

"What are you doing?" Annabeth asked carefully.

"Finding a way to be entertained," Percy said, getting more comfortable in his seat. "I thought that was supposed to be your job, though, considering I am the guest here."

Annabeth raised an eyebrow pointedly. "If you were looking for entertainment, you should've gotten a jester."

Percy chuckled, and it was a low sound, smooth like butter, and Annabeth felt it in her body. "Don't think I'll be needing that anymore. You're doing just fine."

"Glad to see I've successfully managed to entertain my beloved guest," she remarked, trying and failing to focus on the words in front of her.

"How's that book going?" Annabeth wanted to smack him upside the face and duct tape his mouth shut. Calm down, Annabeth!

"Splendid, truly."

"Huh," he said, the doubt in his voice strong. "Wonder why you haven't even gotten through the first page yet, then."

"Maybe," she said, slowly bringing her eyes up. "That's because a certain someone has been talking to me since I picked up this book."

That glint was still there when he raised both his eyebrows. "Am I distracting you, Princess?"

Heat flared to her face. "I-" She couldn't finish that thought, though, because Percy continued.

"I wasn't aware I had that effect on you," he said. A shit-eating grin played on his lips and Annabeth felt her face getting hotter.

She let out a small huff before she stood up, took her book with her, and went to scan the library for something else as if she didn't know where every book was.

"Hey, where are you going?" he called, standing to follow Annabeth. "You know that was a joke, right?"

Annabeth almost made a snarky remark, but she stopped herself, seeing the genuine concern etched in his face. "Don't worry, I'm well aware."

"Aw, c'mon!" he said, throwing his arms up. "Why don't you want to hang out with me?"

The visible pout on his lips made Annabeth laugh, covering her mouth with her hand to hide it. Percy's face practically lit up. "The princess can laugh, it seems!"

"No need to celebrate," Annabeth said, but she was surprised too. "I am more than capable of having emotions."

"I don't doubt that, Princess," he said, still smiling. "Everyone has emotions. It's about if you show them or not."

Why is he saying things like that? Annabeth cleared her throat, then changed the subject. "I'm actually about to leave the library, but you have fun here!" she exclaimed with fake enthusiasm.

"Woah there, Princess," Percy said, looking insulted. "The library is probably the last place I'd want to be in if I had a choice."

"So why are you here now?" she asked inquisitively. "You had a choice, didn't you?"

"For you, of course!" he said, a crooked smile plastered on his face. Annabeth's heart skipped a beat. Are these signs of a stroke? "I'll be following you to wherever you go," he said with finality.

Annabeth sighed and walked out of the library. She didn't look behind her, but she heard the footsteps behind her. Clearly, he was taking this as an invitation.

"Where are we going," he asked in an almost sing-songy voice. Annabeth had had a headstart, but the Prince had caught up to her in a few quick strides. Annabeth ignored him. She heard a dramatic sigh "You're no fun!"

"I'll have you know: I'm plenty fun," she responded as they approached the courtyard once again. "How's another spar for fun?"

Word Count: 1008