fourty-two

"And I will take as long as you need to say it back," Ashton intertwines our fingers together.

I don't really know what to say. All I can do is wrap my arms around his bare torso and close my eyes, listening to his faint heart beat.

"I'm sorry I can't say it back," I mutter against his chest, pecking it lightly.

"I said, take as long as you need to figure it out, babe," he assures me.

"I just have some past commitment issues and it's hard for me to explain my issues without feeling like something is gonna happen,"

"It's okay, Erin," he runs his fingers through my straight hair, untangling the tiny nots at the ends of my hair.

"I'm so sorry," I apologize.

I feel so bad I can't say it but past relationships have caused me to have major trust issues when it comes to commitment.

After I dropped out of high school, I met a guy who I dated for awhile. We were so in love, well I guess if you call love being oblivious to his treatment towards me then I guess we were.

At one point, we had been dating for almost two years and we would argue non-stop. He would call me horrible words and sometimes slap me. At one point it got so bad, I packed up everything when he was at work one night and moved out. I didn't know where I was going to but I threw my things in my car and found a hotel I lived in for almost one month and soon enough I turned 18 and got a job at a strip club near the hotel.

Now, almost five years later, I own a nice house and car with an amazing... boyfriend.

"Ashton," I start. "What would you call us? Like are we a couple? Boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"Do you want us to be a couple?"

"I think it only makes sense," I smile at him. "I mean, we did admit to having feelings for each other a little bit ago."

"Now we have something in common," he grins. "Now let's go, I want to introduce my lovely girlfriend to my friends."

Ashton pulls me hand along with him as we exit his bedroom to join everyone else at the pool.

~*~

short and sweet :-)

thanks so much for all the reads and votes, it means a lot to me bc i put a lot of thinking and effort into this story, so thank you!