Arc one / Chapter thirteen

"That's a negative, Cinder Actual, my squadron is fitted for recon and aerial warfare, we cannot give any ground support. Over." McCain said sternly, making sure the operator on the other side of the frequency knows his stance on the situation on the ground.

    "Griffin 1-1, the situation is dire, we need support." The voice spoke again, desperation seeping through its words.

    "I repeat Cinder Actual, my squadron is fitted for aerial combat, we cannot give any form of ground strike support. Over." McCain responded.

    "Griffin 1-1, anything will do, reconnaissance, strafes, anything. Just help us!" The operator practically begged.

    McCain stayed silent this time, pondering on the options in front of him, on one half, the situation on the ground is getting desperate, judging from the radio operators tune, while the other, his squadron is not kitted for air-to-ground warfare. Then, he realizes, if they are this desperate for air support, where is the air fleet stationed in Guam?

    "Guam station, where are the air fleets stationed in Anderson Air Base?" McCain asks.

    "Aiding in the navy against the hostile ships that suddenly appeared near our western coastline. The only ones available for CAS are the helicopters, but they are being stretch thin due to the expanding front." The operator replies.

    The radio crackles in response, but no voice came to the operators side, making the radio operator panic, "Griffin 1-1? Are you still there?" It asks. But McCain kept quiet.

    The operator asks again, but the crackles continues on.

    "Guam Station, Griffin 2-1 and 2-2 will provide reconnaissance support, over." McCain finally relents.

    The radio remained silent, prompting McCain to continue, "Griffin Actual, you provide C&C to all available forces, Over."

    The silence came from the RC-135 radio before a voice came through, "Wilco."

    McCain nods before speaking again, "Griffin 1-2, we are to escort Griffin Actual until everything is complete. Over."

    "McCain, do you still remember our original mission?" Griffin 1-2 suddenly spoke, his usual friendly voice replaced by a more serious one.

    "Yes, Griffin 1-2," McCain replies, "now get to formation, and be ready for anything. Over." He continues.

    Griffin 2-1 and 2-2 then proceed to bank right and away from the formation, allowing McCain to position himself to an escort position beside the larger aircraft. Griffin 1-2, while initially hesitant, follows suit, moving to the other side of the RC-135.

    "Griffin 1-1, I'm in position. Over." Griffin 1-2's voice calls over the radio.

    "Copy, Guam Station, over and out."

——

    Pressing lightly on the trigger, Samantha fires a burst into slowly growing hostile combatants. Beside her, the private pops a couple of shots from the pistol she gave him.

    "These fuckers are endless!" A Marine shouts behind her.

    Half an hour has passed, and the second world war officer managed to gain contact with their own armored forces and directed them to their location, but that is an hour and a half away. They'll have to hold out till then.

    Samantha fires another burst into the crowd of hostiles, dropping a couple of them. Her M4 Carbines clicks, notifying her that her magazine was empty, her second to last magazine, she realized.