理想

Breaking News: EXPLOSION: NEW YORK CITY

The television, my only link to the outside world besides the limited view from the window, shows a picture of standard-looking coins rolled into paper coin wrappers reading Sky Casino.

"The counterfeit coins believed to have caused the explosion match those recovered from the terrorist cache in the Sky Casino. Europol has called it a misfiring of the coin's remote-controlled detonators leading to concerns that similar coins may also—"

The calm and collected voice of the newscaster is interrupted by the click of the sliding door. It's Jouno, the member of the hunting dogs that intrigues me the most. He's come in with the devilish one called Teruko, but he's never spoken to me alone. But if he notices my unease, which he must, he says nothing.

"What a terrible incident." he remarks casually as if a cat had been stuck in a tree, "Any thoughts about it, Kunikida-san?

I hate to associate my colleague with these . . . (I don't even know what to call them) people, but his coolness reminds me of Dazai for some reason. If this were Dazai I'd give him a good whacking, but it isn't. And it's not like I could whack anyone now.

I keep my reply as calmly as I can, trying to match his tone. Though I know I won't manage the hint of humour his statement carried without my stomach turning. "I agree with you, it's terrible."

He gives a small smile, meant to be comforting or patronising, but I'm not sure. "You're the ones who did it. All of you terrorists." His tone is completely neutral, and he gives nothing away without his eyes. What is he here for?

His statement annoys me more than anything at this point, the result of festering frustration, helplessness, and worry for my colleagues' lives, my friends' lives. "That again? I don't know what your HQ is doing but the Detective Agency is innocent." I'm sure he can hear the tiredness in my voice, I'm not sure if I care. They won't break me. They won't. I won't let them. I can't.

"If you say so," He shrugs, plopping down on the folding chair next to my bed, "I didn't come here today to talk about that."

He's holding a green fruit, some type of pear I think Kenji would know, my heart aches at the thought of the young farm boy. I push the feelings back, sealing Kenji away safely in my mind, away from everything, and look back to Jouno who's smiling properly now.

"I have an Asian Pear. Want it?" He's teasing me, but my stomach still hopes. The food they've been giving isn't bad, per se, prison food would be worse, but still.

"You'll let me have it?" I let my sarcasm show openly, wondering how I'd even eat it. I'd be so humiliating to have him feed me.

So much so in fact that I'm almost relieved when he says, "Of course not." Almost, but there's a knife in his hand now, my muscles tense, aching for my notebook, knowing it would be useless to me even if it were within reach.

"Kunikida-san, maybe you can't see it, but I do respect you." He doesn't look down even as he peels the pair with the knife, keeping his face pointed towards me, and even though I know he can't see my expression, it's unnerving particularly since I'm not exactly sure what expression I'm making. I don't know how I should react to his words. Maybe his respect for me will keep me from further punishment but if he respects me what kind of person must I be?

He continues, either unfazed by or oblivious to my inner turmoil, "Back when you blew yourself up in midair, I saw you nimbly grab Tetchou-san, and use him as a shield against the grenade. Without that, even our engineers would have had trouble reviving you."

He pauses, probably gauging my reaction, however, he does it. I frown, hoping he'll sense it.

When I jumped, I fully intended to sacrifice myself, to die for the cause, or on the off chance I survived, to find a way to put myself back together alone until I could act to clear the Agency's name. When I first woke up here, I wished I was dead.