The Real Target

Kevin gasped, and his eyes shot open as he felt his organs restart. His skin burned, and he could feel it starting to regrow around his muscles and nerves as he started to live once more.

Bright lighting caused him to squint his eyes, and he was unable to speak due to the massive tube that was shoved down his throat. He couldn't even move his arms or legs as his entire nervous system hadn't come back yet. He just floated there, his brain putting itself back together one piece at a time.

He was in a strange glass-like box. It was filled with an orangish liquid, the same substances in all the Wandering Coin's drugs. A buzzing began to fill his head as his ears came back together.

"-to the world of the living, Kevin!" He tried to speak, but the tube stopped him and instead caused bubbles to float up. "Try to stay calm. We're rebuilding you strand by strand." A voice responded, echoing in the strange box he was in.

Past the glass, he saw him. Doc leaned forward on his cane and gave a grin. The man's lab coat was a mix of dozens of colors, and he had dyed his hair seven new shades. Kevin knew where they were as his eyes adjusted to the light of the bright room. The basement of the mayor's manner. It was large and had been converted into a makeshift lab with stainless steel floors and walls. Dozens of tables were scattered about, and attached to the wall was the strange machine he had woken up in.

"How long will it take for his body to be put back together?" A new voice asked.

Standing behind the Doc were two figures both dressed in red cloaks. They wore masks that covered their faces and had coins sewn into the eye sockets. "Calm down, Hannah. He'll be back soon enough." The Doc smirked. "He took quite the beating, you know. He split himself in two, and both halves died. One froze to death out in space, and the other popped like a balloon when it appeared at the bottom of the ocean."

The second cloaked figure walked forward and looked at another box that was next to the one Kevin resided within. He spoke in an older tone, being around before Kevin or Hannah. "And what of Wish?"

Kevin craned his head and felt his eyes go wide when he saw the girl. Her eyes were closed, and her arms and legs were folded in on themselves. She looked almost like a weird ball simply floating in her tank. She looked to be fully healed for the most part but wasn't awake like him.

"I'm having some issues with Wish." The Doc admitted. "See, that bastard Battery brought out something I wasn't expecting. I knew he worked for the Emperor; after all, I was forced to work for that monster as well. Still, I never dreamed he would actually take up the Emperor's sword, nor that it would work for him. He used its power to force all of Wish's DNA back in her body, basically getting rid of her ability to come back anywhere she wanted to. Then, with the help of that Myth hero, they finished her off. Wish died, so to speak."

"Yet here she still is," Hannah spoke in a blunt tone, placing her hand on the glass. She stared up at Wish, cocking her head to the side. "Now she won't wake up either."

"That's the main issue I'm trying to get past." The Doc admitted. "This device was created by the Emperor and the Princess of Life, fifteen years ago. It's what he used to grow many of his Monsters, and even used it to create Paragon. Thanks to that connection, when the Emperor fell in his final battle with Full Monarch, the title of Lord of Life escaped him. It should have been passed down to Paragon, but instead, she only got part of it. The rest came here inside of these tubes. I had gone out into the wastelands of the world when the Emperor died. Faked my own death and everything to get away from the Branch. That was where I found these machines and discovered Wish for the first time. They were building her."

"If all of her DNA was placed back in her body, shouldn't this machine not have any left to make her?" Hannah asked, cocking her head to the side.

"Normally, you'd be right, but this machine doesn't have Wish's DNA. Instead, it has the DNA that makes up her DNA. Her parents. The Emperor's cells, and the Princess of Life's cells. These were the same cells I injected into your three to turn them into man-made Supers, proving once and for all that I have conquered the concept of the Lords! It is also thanks to this machine that no matter how many times you guys die, even total destruction won't be enough. I can always just recreate your bodies with this device, and eventually, your memories will start back up."