CHAPTER ONE .

It's another one of those lazy mornings. Riley groaned and grumbled as the sun shone bright into her dorm room. Everytime she tried to pry her eyes open, it was literally impossible. Either the light was a major factor in that or her eyes were simply glued toghether.
After a while of tossing and turning and internal complaining, Riley finally rubbed her eyes and slowly opened them, but quickly squinting them after. Why does the sun have to be so damn bright? Fuck you, sun. Her head quickly darted towards her alarm clock, which plastered the time. 10:34 AM. Riley was about to panic about how late she was to class, only to realise it was a Sunday.
Contemptly sighing, Riley snuggled back in bed, ready to drift back off to sleep. She loved sleeping. Finished her work in class? Sleep. Free period? Sleep. Weekends? Sleep. Holidays? Sleep. Every opportunity she gets, she sleeps. Sure, Riley also hangs out with her friends and makes plans, which she probably does more than sleep, but sleep is still amazing.
Just as Riley was about to drift off to sleep, someone knocked on the door. Ugh, great. She thought. Can't even get as much sleep as we want.
The knocking just wouldn't stop and Riley had to quickly force herself out of bed to make it stop. "Hold your horses, whoever you are! I'm coming, jeez." She finally reached her dorm's door and opened it, only to reveal Dana grinning at her.
"Morning, girlfriend," Dana happily grinned.
"Dude, why are you so happy?" Riley asked as she scratched her hair.
"Next week, we're having a party on Sunday. It's gonna be the last party before the 'End of the World' one!" she smiled, handing over a ticket. "And I got us tickets to the VIP section."
Riley facepalmed herself. "Dana.. You know I love partying and shit, but couldn't you have just waited until later on in the evening or something? I was sleeping." she glared at her. "Peacefully."
"Sorry, couldn't contain myself. I'll make it up to you later." Dana smiled, shoving the ticket into Riley's face. "Anyway, I have to go meet up with Trevor. But nice talking to you, sister!" She blew Riley a kiss before leaving.
Riley only waved before going back inside her room, shutting the door. Only now is when she realised she's supposed to meet up with Warren in, like, 10 minutes. Guess I have to thank Dana for this. Otherwise the dude wouldn't be quiet about me being late for days. She chuckled to herself before storing the party ticket into her drawer, and heading toward her closet. She picket out casual clothes: just a band shirt and jeans. She also wore a beanie ontop of her messy hair. Hipster shit, she thought. Then Riley just wore a random perfume─or cologne, she randomly picked because she wears both women and men's perfume─before hurriedly wearing her shoes, leaving them half untied before leaving her dorm.
Riley waked down the hall of the girls' dorms, waving at anyone who's out, and quicky headed to the bathroom to wash her face. After a minute or so, she made her way back into the hall and out of the dorms to meet Warren outside Blackwell Academy, and next to the fountain. (does that really count as outside? i dont know LOL)
Finally noticing Warren who was sitting on the edge of the fountain, Riley sat down next to him and greeted him with a high five.
"You're 2 minutes late," Warren joked.
"Oh, that's a new record! I thought I'd be, like 10 minutes late." Riley chuckled. "So, what is it you called me over for?"
"I was wondering if you'd let me borrow one of your sci-fi movie CD'S. We kind of watch the same things so─" he smiled, "just wondering if it's okay with you."
"Of course, anytime. But you could've texted me instead. I'll deliver them to you, let's say, like this evening? That sound cool with you?"
Warren nodded. "Sorry, I preferred seeing you in person. But yeah, fine by me."
"Ok, well good to know. I have plans to make. And a project to work on." Riley chuckled, high fiving him again. "See you later, Graham!"
He waved at her. "Bye, Riley."
Riley walked inside the halls of Blackwell, who were a bit crowded with students around their lockers. Pretty weird for a Sunday, she thought to herself. When she passed by the bathroom, she bumped into someone─no, someone bumped into her.
"Watch where you're going, fucking dumbass!" the boy said. It was none other than Nathan Prescott and his trashy attitude.
"Yeesh, dude, who peed on your cereal this morning?" Riley asked defensively, raising her arms up until shoulder length. "But, hey, if you like pee in your cereal that's fine too. I don't judge." she joked.
The boy only glared angrily at her before walking away the opposite direction from her. He really thinks the Prescotts own this shithole.. when themselves they ARE a shithole, she thought with a sigh. But Riley did notice that his eyes were quite puffy. But she didn't think much of it, though─she only thought of it as allergies or something. Riley thought that Nathan was too cold hearted to have any will to cry.
Back into her dorm room Riley slumped on her desk and opened her laptop. She quickly closed it again, realising she won't need it and that she opened it for absolutely no reason. "Fucking dumbass," she mumbled, chuckling at herself.
The project Riley had was to paint a self portrait. Given she sketched herself alot on paper with a pencil, she thought painting would be the same. Like painting a scenery. But the project was due tomorrow, and she was trying since last Tuesday. Riley was a pro at painting other people, painting scenery and such─she was a good artist in general─but when it was time for her to try out painting herself, she drastically failed. In her eyes, atleast.
She could totally learn how to do it in a month or two, but in a week? It was a challenge. But, hey, anything for that A+, baby, she thought to herself.
Positioning herself infront of her canvas, sitting down on the stool, mirror next to her to capture her features without any flaw, or with the minimum possible, atleast, Riley first picked up her pencil to start sketching herself. She wanted to make it simple: no detailed background, just plain white with a painting of her (from an up angle) looking into the distance.
At first, she wanted to make it as basic as making every color perfectly accurate to her, but remember her teacher's words: Being different isn't being weird, it's being yourself, it's being creative. And so, she started messing around with the colors.