Reading at the park- Lander

Zander walks through the paths of Rosemeadow Park, enjoying the feeling of the cool air, his hair swaying. He was headed to his favorite place- the park gazebo. A place deep enough in the park most people didn't go there, kids and teens finding it boring and adults not finding it at all. Rosemeadow Park has always been too big for its own good, but Zander didn't mind. It let him take a break from everything overwhelming in the world.

After about three more minutes of walking, Zander arrives at the gazebo. A small, beautiful sitting area with flowers spilling over the white railings and surrounding the pathway. Whoever the gardeners at Rosemeadow were, they did a great job. Zander takes a seat on one of the seats, pulling out Secret Garden. Zander could always appreciate a classic, and it seemed like the perfect book to read here. It had a slow start, but after getting through that the first time Zander practically hadn't been able to put the book down. He opens to chapter twelve, starting to read as he listens to the ambiance of birds chattering and wind slowly swaying through the trees.

Eventually, Zander got so engrossed in the book that he was transported into another world, the sounds in the current setting fading away. He doesn't snap out of it until he suddenly feels a hand on his shoulder. Zander jumps, letting out a startled yelp. He whips around to see who touched him.

"Zander?" Zander's eyes widen as he sees Luke in front of him, a concerned expression on his face. Luke sees the book in Zander's hand and he realizes why he had been so distracted, his expression becoming one of understanding.

"Ah. Sorry for that, Zander," Luke says apologetically, sliding onto the bench next to Zander.

"No, you're good," Zander says, putting the book down. "I mean, if you were Milly, Jake, or a random stranger this book would become a weapon, but since it's just you I won't."

"Just me?" Luke repeats questioningly, raising an eyebrow teasingly.

"You know what I meant!" Zander exclaims lightheartedly, lighting hitting Luke's leg with his book.  "There, happy?"

"I'll think about it," Luke says with a laugh. Zander smiles up at Luke, before leaning on him, placing his head on his boyfriend's shoulder.

Zander looks up at the sky, surprise crossing over on his face. "Wow...it's already sunset? How long was I reading...?"

Luke gently takes the book from Zander. "Well, where did you start?" Luke asks.

"Chapter twelve."

"Were you reading at your usual pace or taking it all in? I know you've read this before, but sometimes you still take a bit longer to preserve the moment."

"Taking it in."

"Then..." Luke pauses, checking Zander's placement before tilting his head to think. "I'd estimate that you were reading for about an hour and a half, give or take a few minutes."

Zander laughs softly, taking his book back. "How are you so observant? Even I don't know how long it takes me to read."

"I've known you for six years, Zander, I think I can rightfully say that I know a thing or two about you that you may not have even realized," Luke says with a gentle smile, placing his arm around Zander's shoulder.

Zander pulls out his phone, checking the time. "Jeez, dinner time came faster than I thought it would..." he trails off, realizing he has about twenty missed calls from his mom. "Oh...that's definitely not good..."

Luke glances over at Zander's phone to see what he was talking about. "Ah, yeah. They couldn't get to you, so they called me instead. That's why I came looking for you," Luke says, chuckling.

"Yeesh...I tell her that I get lost in the book sometimes, so she calls you to pick me up like a personal uber," Zander sighs. "Sorry I made you come out here."

"No, you're good! She just knew you were headed to the park, and since I live closer she was hoping I could come pick you up," Luke says, standing up and holding out a hand to Zander.

Zander takes his hand and stands, suddenly hugging Luke. "I love you," he murmurs, placing his head on Luke's shoulder.

Luke smiles, hugging Zander back, running a hand through his boyfriend's purple hair. "Love you too," he says softly. Luke waits a bit, letting Zander enjoy the hug, before speaking up again. "Ready to go? Mrs. Wickham is already going to have your head for not answering your phone, and I'd rather not give her a reason to have mine as well."

Zander lets go, glaring at Luke playfully. "You're just trying to save yourself! Meanie."

"Yeah, I am," Luke says, taking Zander's hand, lacing their fingers together. "You can scold me for it on the way back to your house."

"I will take that chance," Zander replies, and the two begin their walk back to Zander's house, bracing themselves to face his mom.

    END