May 6th 2012 - 9:00am
I open my eyes to see Jack on the bed beside me.
"Hey buddy." I sit up gently
"Hi sissy, daddy said you have to wake up. You gotta go to the Court place thingy." Jack replies, "and Auntie Emily is here!"
"Ok buddy. Can you ask Auntie Emily to come in here please?" I ask him
"Ok." He climbs off my bed and runs out.
Emily soon appears at the door. She comes in.
"Hey sweetie, how are you feeling?" She asks
"Better, can you help me change? I smile, "my dress is hanging in the inside of the door in the closet."
She gets it off the door. She helps me change. She grabs my wheelchair and helps me into it. I grab my phone off my nightstand and wheel out to the main area with Emily behind me. My dad is making pancakes.
"Hey dad." I smile
"Hey honey." He replies
Emily goes over and gives him a kiss on the cheek. He gives a small smile as he serves up the pancakes. My dad got a me board that clips onto my wheelchair for when I'm eating. I grab it and clip it on. He places a plate on my tray. I start to eat my pancakes. I take my plate over to the sink. I take off my tray and put it away. I then go to the bathroom and start brushing my hair. Emily comes in.
"Hey, you need any help?" She asks
"Could you braid my hair?" I ask
"Sure." She splits my hair and starts braiding it.
She finishes and I brush my teeth. I go out and find my shoes sitting on a rack. I lean down and reach them. I am hit with a wave of pain in my side when I sit back up.
"Ah!" I wince
"Valk? You ok?" Dad calls
"Yeah." I call back, obvious pain in my voice.
He comes in, "what happened?"
"I just got a pang of pain when I bent down to get my shoes." I explain
"You know you'rere not supposed to bend down." He replies before grabbing my shoes and putting them on for me.
"I know dad. Can you get my meds and some apple juice please?" I sigh
"Sure. Make your way back to the kitchen. Grab your lap blanket." He tells me
My legs get cold sometimes so I have a blanket that lays over my legs. I grab it off the couch. I place it over my legs. I wheel into the kitchen and dad passes me my medication and my juice. I take them and finish my juice. I place the cup in the sink.
"Alright. Let's go. We've got 20 minutes to be there." Dad exclaims and he lifts Jack up.
We all file out. Emily helps me out of the wheelchair and into the passenger seat.
"Aaron, can I ride with you?" Emily asks as she tucks my blanket over my legs.
"Course." Dad replies as Emily closes my door.
She hops in the backseat opposite Jack. Dad drives us to the courthouse. He parks and Emily helps me into my chair. She puts my blanket over my legs. Dad is holding Jack's hand. We go up the ramp and into the courthouse.
"Which courtroom?" I ask dad
"Um, I can't remember." He exclaims before turning to a clerk, "which courtroom is Mason Bentley's case hearing in?"
"Courtroom JC3." She replies, "down the hall and a left. Second in the right."
"Thanks." Dad replies
We navigate down the hallways and find the courtroom. My brother goes to open the door.
"JackJack." I exclaim
"Yes sissy?" He turns
"You need to be very quiet in here ok? Like a mousey." I tell him
"Ok." He whispers, "mousey."
I smile softly as we make our way in. We get to the front row on the prosecuting side. We're only allowed to be there as I am the victim. I hate being called a victim though. I see Mason's parents and his two mates on the other side of the room. The judge comes in and the proceedings begin.
"On the charges of Battery, Domestic Violence, and Physical abuse, how does the defendant plead?" The judge asks
"Not guilty." Mason's Lawyer replies
"Bail?" The judge asks
"Request 30 thousand. The defendant is enrolled to the same school as the victim and if he is out, he may hurt her again." The prosecutor suggests
"That is outrageous your honor. The defendant is just 16 years old and is a school kid. He should be allowed to attend school and learn!" Masons lawyer objects
"But that also gives him free chance to get revenge against the victim." The prosecutor counters
"I agree. Bail is set at $30,000 cash or bond. Dismissed." The judge bangs her gavel.
We all exit the courtroom and leave the courthouse. Dad helps me into the car.
"That went well. Any one up for ice cream?" Dad asks
"Ice cream!" Jack whispers
"You don't have to be mousey anymore JackJack." I tell him
"Ice Cream." He exclaims happily
"Yes please Dad." I ask
"Then ice cream it is." He starts driving once everyone is buckled in.
We get to the ice cream shop and we go in. Emily holds Jacks hand and dad pushes me because my arms hurt. We order then find a table. Our ice cream is brought to us. We start eating.
"Jack, Valk, how do you guys feel about having a sleepover with Auntie Penny?" Dad asks
"Yay!" Jack exclaim
"Yeah." I respond, "why?"
"I'm going out with Emily tonight." He replies
"Alright." I nod as we finish up.
Emily puts our rubbish in the bin and we go home. We go inside. I slide out of my wheelchair and onto the couch. I keep my lap blanket on me. Emily leaves around 4 to get ready at hers for their date. Jack, Dad, and I relax for a bit until there is a knock on the door. I slide into my wheelchair and go to the door. Penny is standing there.
"Hey Pen." I chuckle
"Hey sugar. You excited?" She smiles as we go inside.
I close the door behind her.
"Yep! JackJack." I call
Jack runs in and hugs Penny's legs, "Auntie Penny."
"Hey Jack." Penny hugs him back
We go into the main room only to see Dad isn't there. He comes downstairs in a suit.
"You look nice dad." I tell him
"Thanks. I should get going so that I can pick her up on time. Bye kids." Dad kisses the top of my head before hugging Jack.
He leaves and I get onto the couch from my wheelchair.
"What do you guys want to do?" Penny asks
"What time is it?" I ask
"5:53." She checks her phone.
"We usually have dinner around 6. Dad left some oven pizzas in the freezer. Jack goes for a shower after that then bed at 7." I explain, "we usually watch Paw patrol."
"Got it. I shall start cooking some pizza." Penny goes into the kitchen
"I will turn on some paw patrol." I call
"Ok." Penny replies
I turn on the cartoon and let Jack snuggle into my side. Penny soon walks in carrying three plates of pizza.
"Ok, Jack, remember, you eat on the floor." I tell my younger brother
He slides off the couch as Penny hands him some pizza. She then passes me a plate. She sits beside me.
"So, how'd it go this morning?" She asks
"Ok I guess? He's got a $30,000 bond or cash bail. Don't know when trial is though." I reply as I eat my pizza.
We finish up.
"Sissy shower?" Jack asks
"Sorry buddy, my leg won't let me. Let me message daddy and see how we're gonna do this?" I suggest
He nods. Penny looks to me
"Shouldn't we allow your dad to enjoy his evening with his date?" Penny asks
"Nah, they won't mind." I reply, messaging dad
He soon replies. I look to Jack.
"What are we doing?" Jack asks
"Daddy said that you can just shower in the morning. Go get in your PJ's buddy." I reply
"Ok. Isn't daddy and Auntie Emily together tonight?" He asks
"Uh, yeah." I sigh as Penny looks to me, "go get changed JackJack."
He runs upstairs
"Your dad and Emily?" Penny exclaims
"Yeah. Jack kinda forgot we weren't supposed to tell anyone." I respond
"Ok, I won't tell anyone." She promises
I nod. Jack comes back downstairs. He is carrying his blanket. He clambers up beside me and lays his head on my lap. I lay his blanket over him.
"Penny. There is a bottle in the top right hand cabinet that has the label Percocet. I need one pill from there and another from a bottle with Codeine on it." I ask, "can you get me them and a glass of water?"
"Of course sugarplum." Penny gets up.
I notice that it is 6:45. Penny returns with my meds. I take them. I hear quiet snores and look down to see Jack asleep on my lap. Penny sees too.
"Can you take him up to his room. 2 door on the left once you get up the stairs." I ask her
She nods and lifts him up. She carries him upstairs. I message dad and tell him Penny knows about him and Emily. He responds saying it's ok. And they'd be home within an hour. I put my phone away. Penny comes downstairs.
"He's in bed. Tucked away like a little bug snug in a rug." Penny smiles
"Ok. Dad and Emily are coming over here. They finished up with their dinner." I explain
"Alright. I might get going. I still want to meet up with a friend. You alright on your own?" She asks
"Yeah. Go ahead. They'll only be like 10 minutes." I shuffle into the edge of the couch to try and get comfy
At that moment, the door unlocks. Dad and Emily walk in.
"Hey guys." Emily smiles, "Penelope. You're free to go."
"Have a good rest of your night my fine friends." Penny leaves
"So, how was your date?" I ask as Dad and Emily sit on the couch.
"Great. We had a lot of fun." Emily lays her head on dad's shoulder and he puts an arm around her.
"Something else happened." I encourage as Emily smirks and hides her face in my dad's neck, "Ha! I knew it. You guys are official aren't you?"
"How'd you know?" Dad asks
"I never reveal my secrets!" I chuckle
"Alright. Well, Emily is going to stay with night. Might let her borrow a shirt or something." Dad gives a smile and kiss the top of Emily's head.
"Well, I'm going to go to bed. I'm kinda tired. It's good to see your happier dad. I missed your smiles." I get up off the couch on one leg and sit in my wheelchair.
I wheel into my room. I do the slow process of changing before getting in bed and going to sleep.