Hardly A Victim: Part Four

"Sorry- Didn't mean to interrupt you out there, love." Theo apologizes softly, putting the key into the ignition. Kestrel's eyes wander to Ellis, who's sobbing into her hands. Poor Cassius is patting her back consolingly, mouth moving as if he were trying to calm her.

         "No, it's- thank you. I didn't know how to react. Guess I'm just out of it today." Kestrel replies, lack of emotion in his voice. Theo side eyes him briefly, before pulling out the driveway.

        "Your head's rather crowded, is all, dear. God, what I'd pay to have a glimpse into that beautiful little world that is your mind."

         Kestrel blinks a few times, slumping against his window moodily with a sniff. "You'd want a refund real fast." There's a hint of a joke, but it falls flat on Theo's ears.

          "You think I'm joking. Big man, you know I'm always here for you, forever, always-"

          "-No matter what, yes, yes I know, darling, sorry. Can we get back to the case now?" Kestrel jabs with a huff, only to receive a quick head shake from his partner.

          "Right, you're too big for pep talks, aren't you? Always right down to business with you lot." Theo seethes with a grimace, clicking his blinker at the stop sign.

          Kestrel scoffs, his original attempt at calming the waters having been tossed out the window by his coworker's snotty remark. "What do you mean by 'you lot'?"

          "You, Daniels, Esther, the others at the PD." He gestures to Kestrel's entire being with a smirk, leaving his hand on his thigh briefly. "All but Cassy, I don't think I've ever actually heard Daniels say anything opinionated or based from his own emotion. Not sure the fellow even has emotions."

           "Daniels doesn't talk much; only to argue about getting a coroner on scene quickly. He's awful shy in that sense." The eldest detective points out. He was never too fond of Daniels; When he had the chance to hire on an apprentice, his first choice was normally Cassius or Theo, but never Daniels.

          Daniels, a 27 year old correctional officer and bailiff who often skipped around crime scenes offering aid when he had time off, who seldomly spoke at all. He was rather reserved, stoic, laid back, and didn't understand a lick of flirting or sarcasm. Kestrel would know first hand, with the amount of offhanded flirting he'd tried to start, only to be shut down by the officer's smarmy responses.

           "Danny, I'm gonna need you to help me file the Naillan Elks case. Might need you down at the precinct after, as well." Kestrel had once said, preparing the flirtation. He always started slow, to catch the attention of the dim witted brunette.

          "I'm sure Henderson isn't particularly busy." He shut his book, "Why do you want my help, of all people?"

        "Because you and I've got chemistry." Kestrel waggled his brows playfully, feeling more rejected by the plain expressionless countenance his foolish partner returned, than the silence he emitted while in thought briefly.

         "I've not taken chemistry since my forensics classes in 2016. And I know you've finished grade school, now haven't you?" There was a hint of a joke on his low voice that always made Kestrel giddy, despite his obvious lack of understanding deadforward flirting cues.

        "That could be a good thing in this line of work." Theo objects with a smirk, chuckling to himself at the heavy sigh he gained as response.

          "Don't side with that absolute- well, that- him-" Kestrel wipes his nose on a napkin, which had been stashed away in his coat pocket from lunch. He is pleased to note that the medicine had (finally) kicked in, and he was feeling plenty better, despite having never actually felt badly to begin with. Theo also picks up on the cue.