2 ~ stranger danger

LACY

I ride the mint green bike Mrs. Johnson leant me through town. Lucky me, my family died over the summer. More specifically, the day after school let out. 

With nothing to do in that strange home, I asked Mrs. Johnson if I could explore this new village. She excitedly agreed and told me to take her old, shining bike. 

Wind blows through my hair, waving it around through the air. I bike along the road, weaving past the cars. Truth be told, though, there were not many cars about. 

I only stop riding through the quaint little village when I arrive at the coast. I hop off the bike, and trail it next to me through the beach to the seashore. 

The waves crash against the little rocks underneath my feet. I let the bike fall next to me, and kneel down to touch the icy water. Chill floods my body when my fingers make contact with the waves. 

I smile softly, feeling sudden peace wash over me— sitting here, on the pebbled beach, without a care in the world. 

Well, I take it back. I do have a few worries. Will they find me? Come after me, and take me away? Lock me up in a cell? 

I don't know. And it terrifies me. 

"Hey there!" A bright voice calls from behind me, making me flinch. I turn around and see a girl with deep brown curls and chocolate skin run up to me. "You new in town?" Her Scottish accent is heavy. 

I nod. "Yes..." I don't elaborate any further. Where did this girl even come from? I don't think I saw anyone on the beach when I arrived. 

"Nice! I live above Milton's Meats, over there," She points to a row of pastel and white buildings and shops. "You should come by sometime." Her smile never fades. 

I nod slowly. "Alright." 

"Oh! I forgot to say my name. Well, I'm Jessica. How about you?" 

"I'm..." Should I tell her my name? She doesn't seem like much of a threat, yet looks can be deceiving. "Lacy."

Her eyes widen. "Lacy? I love that name! Do you wear lacy dresses and stuff like that? That would be so pretty!" 

I glance down at the light blue dress I wear and the absence of anything lacy in my hair. "No, not really." 

Jessica shrugs. "Your dress is nice anyway. Well, there are lots and lots of girls in town. I can take you 'round the place and show you everything!"

My gaze wanders to her discarded white bike on the other side of the pebbled beach. It's rusty, and slightly beat up—nothing like Mrs. Johnson's shimmery new one. 

I nod. "Sure." Why not? All common sense has left me. 

I just want to feel alive, and Jessica is the most lively girl I've come across. 

Jessica squeals. "Get on your bike and follow me. Okay?" I nod, and grab my bike, wheeling it over to hers. She jumps onto it, and I follow her out onto the paved roads. 

The town closely resembles my old one, yet there are many different stories—grocery, bakery, hotels, boutiques... All of them share a similar charm. 

Jessica stops in front of a quaint, white picket fence house painted a sea green. She gleams. "This is where my Nana lives. You'll love her. She tells lots of stories."

My paranoia heightens upon examining the house. It feels like a house from another life, a house I've been to before, a house I know. 

I glance over at Jessica, who's already discarded her bike on the lawn and is entering the house. "Come on, Lacy! Don't be a stranger!"