Chapter 1

Hi, everyone! I wanted to share book one in Clay's point of view. I love him as a character so much. Plus, I love writing in his pov. So here we are. 

I bang my fist on the wooden door. "Get your ass up, Ty. We need to go." I heard shuffling inside the room and two hushed voices, making me roll my eyes. The hinges squeak slightly when the door slides open.

Tyler buttoned his jeans, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry."

I shook my head. "Next time, go to Ember's house."

"My mom doesn't like when he stays over." Speak of the devil and she shall appear. Ember pulled a shirt over her head, slipping out of the door. "Don't glare at me like that, Clay. Maybe you need to get laid every once in a while. You wouldn't be so grumpy."

"Yeah, whatever," I muttered, turning and continuing down the hall. I sat down at the kitchen table across from Mom. She looked tired. Less tired than normal, but still too tired for my liking. Her brown hair was pulled into a messy knot atop her head, her brown eyes pooling with sleepiness even though she'd been up for an hour. "Why don't you go get some rest, Mom," I suggested, softening my voice.

She looked up at me and smiled. "You're such a sweet boy, Clayton." She patted my hand. "I'm starting to think Ember is right though."

"About?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Ember being right wasn't as rare as I would like, but still not as often as she thought.

"You should have a girlfriend, a place of your own by now," Mom said. "Honey, I appreciate everything you do for us, I do, but you need a life of your own."

"I don't need anything else. What about you and Clare?"

"We'll be fine. You'll still be here. Just...Go live your own life. You don't need to dote on us as much as you do."

"I'm fine, Mom," I told her.

"You're twenty-five. You're young, you're handsome, you've got a lot to offer. Any girl would be lucky to call you hers." She looked at me for a moment. I knew what she was thinking. She was thinking the words that hurt to hear, that hurt for her to say. You look so much like your father.

"I don't need a girlfriend. I'm fine," I insisted, standing up and grabbing my coat from the back of my chair as I forced thoughts of him from my head. "I got to go. I'll be home soon. Come on, Ty!" I called out, stepping over to Mom. I kissed her head. "Love you."

"I love you too," she whispered back.

"See you later, Clare!" I called out loud enough for her to hear.

"See you two dipshits later!" she called back.

Tyler rushed out of his room, bidding Mom goodbye before meeting me on the front porch. "Dude, there's no need to rush," he says, running a hand over his hair.

"We shouldn't be out late. You know that," I said, tucking a knife in my belt before shoving a gun in the waistband of my jeans.

***

I hissed out a curse as I felt a shard of glass slice into my back as I climbed out of the window. I jumped, bending my knees slightly to absorb the impact as I hit the ground with a thud. Tyler followed closely behind, hitting the ground as well. The backpack full of things we'd found slapped against his back.

"I was thinking–" Tyler began as we walked through the woods.

I rolled my eyes. "That's never good."

Tyler shoved my shoulder. "Assface," he muttered. "Anyway, I was thinking about what Em said earlier–"

"All you think about is Ember, Tyler. I'm not surprised."

"Would you shut the hell up?" he asked, rolling his eyes. "I was thinking about when she told you to get laid and it made me question if you ever had."

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you questioning whether or not my virginity is still intact?"

"Yes," he said boldly. "Yes. I am."

I scoffed. "I'm not a virgin, you moron."

"That's shocking. You seem like such a prude." Tyler laughed.

I glared at him. "Just because I like to sleep rather than hear your headboard banging against the wall all night doesn't mean I'm a prude," I stated. "By the way, tell Ember to keep it down next time."

"Jeez, so snappy," Ty mumbled. "Man, you are not fun to mess with."

"Then don't mess with me."

Tyler sighed. "Fine."

"Fine."

It was quiet for all of ten freaking seconds.

"So who was it?" Tyler asked.

"Who was what?" I replied, scrubbing a hand over my jaw.

"Who was the last chick you slept with?" he asked. "When was it?"

"Get out of my sex life, will you?"

"No."

"None of your business."

"Prude."

"Jackass."

***

"Oh, honey, you're home," Mom said, moving toward the door. "Where's your brother?"

I sighed, trying to think of an appropriate response. "Off with Ember. I swear to God, they can't keep their hands to themselves."

Mom smiled softly, patting my shoulder. "They're in love, sweetheart. Let them be."

"You don't have the bedroom right next to his," I muttered under my breath as I peeled off his jacket.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," I grumbled, sinking into the chair at the table. I rested my head in my hands and hoped sleep would come easier tonight. Though I knew it wouldn't. It hardly ever did. I pressed my fingers against my eyes, blowing out a breath. I slid my hands up and into my hair, blinking.

"Honey?" Mom sat down across from me, tapping her fingers against the wooden table. "Darling, are you okay?"

"Just a little tired, Mom," I answered.

I felt her small hand on my arm then. "Sweetie, I know how...difficult things have been for you the last year and a half. I want you to know I'm here. I'm your mother. It's my job to take care of you, not the other way around."

"I'm fine," I insisted.

She frowned and that made a rush of guilt shoot through me. "What did they do to you? Where did my Clayton go? You used to be so...so lively."

"He died." The words slipped out before I could stop them.

She blinked, taken aback for a moment and I regretted the words that slipped out. I kept everything that had happened under wraps. Especially in front of her. I don't think I'd ever been so bold with what I felt. "Honey..."

I forced a smile. "I'm okay, Mom. Just...I just need some sleep."

Mom sighed. "Clayton, promise me something." She grabbed my hand, gripping it hard.

"Anything." I nodded my head.

"Promise me you won't give up. Promise me you'll try to find yourself again." She placed a hand on my shoulder.

I wasn't sure if I could keep that promise. I wasn't sure if I'd ever even be able to think about keeping it. "Yeah, Mom. I will." But I made it anyway.