Prologue

Artemis urges himself to awaken. Eyes snapping open. A distinct pinkish glow that disappears as he blinks. Still feeling a bit sluggish. Which was weird considering Artemis hasn't done anything but slept since that; the 'accident'. He has locked himself away up here, in the attic. There is no joy to be found with him. No joy throughout the entire house really. Considering the family has been torn apart by tragedy. Artemis cannot recall the last time he left the attic. He finds no reason to be happy or experience joy. The attic is technically his bedroom. He lets out a breath as he brushes his fingers through his soft hair. Few strands sticking to his face with the aid of sweat. It was that dream again. Though the term dream is incredibly generous. Haunting effects of the nightmare linger in him. Every night, the same dream. Well, nightmare usually involving the death of his parents. He sits himself up, leaning against his bed's frame. He holds out his hand, pink wisps of whirling around his fingers. Another reason he is locked in the attic. The accident changed him. Mentally and supernaturally? Artemis balls his fist making the energy dissipate.

..............

Most mornings Artemis is left well alone but not today. This morning he finds Jenna sitting beside him. Having made her way out of the kitchen. They are both sat at the bottom of the stairs. A house that was once so full of life and laughter is just silent. The warmth of it all died with his parents. It's cold and void and reminds him of everything he has lost. Jenna raises an eyebrow at Artemis who groans and throws his arms over his eyes. He wants to curl into a ball and sulk. He doesn't want to deal with the whispers that he is sure are waiting for him.

"I'm just about going, I wanted to make sure you're...feeling...alright."

"I think I'm going to be fine." He responds with a small sad smile. His tone a bit hoarse. Having not consumed any water since he woke up in the middle of the night. 

"Today's going to be okay, Artemis." She tells him. Jenna pushes herself to her feet. She turns and heads out the house. Artemis sighs and nods to himself. Nervously picking at his fingernails. He has to go to school no matter how much he is hurting. Artemis' thoughts are interrupted as Jeremy storms past without a second glance back. Artemis raises an eyebrow and broods as Elena approaches him.

"I'm getting a ride with Bonnie if you need a lift." She tells him. He nods and rises up on his feet. Stretching out his arms as he prepares himself to get out the house.