Official

"Poppy, you're gonna miss."

"Branch! Come on, let me try it at least once!"

"But you're gonna miss."

"You don't know that! Once, Branch... Once!"

"... Fine."

Branch sighed, knowing this was going to go wrong, but complying with her anyhow. He sat across from her, deadpanned expression on his face as he opened his mouth. Poppy eagerly grabbed a few sprinkles from the bottom of the cupcake box and raised her hand up with them.

"Ready?" she asked.

Branch nodded his head, and then right after, Poppy flung her arm out, the sprinkles flying. While her goal was his mouth, the result of her aim was a little off. The sprinkles landed in a flying splatter right against his nose!

The look of surprise on Branch's face made Poppy giggle.

"Oops!"

Branch frowned, but it was a playful frown, since it was accompanied with a smirk. "Oops is right! I told you you'd miss!" He jumped up to his feet and ran up to Poppy. The queen squealed in mock fright, only managing to get up on her feet, but unable to run away from him as he wrapped his arms around her waist from behind and lifted her up.

"Say I was right! Say I was right!" Branch said while he twirled her around.

"Okay, okay!" Poppy laughed. "You were right, Branch! You were right!"

"You bet I was," Branch laughed right back, finally putting her down and facing her around to him. His laughter died down when he did this. He was looking right into her pretty, magenta eyes, sparkling under the stars of the night sky. It was here that Branch realized that riding in a hot air balloon over the Troll Kingdoms, alone, was a very opportune moment.

"Poppy," he said suddenly, unable to stop the words that were about to come out of his mouth, "I know this is our first date and all, but, um... do you think we can maybe make Barb's nickname official?" It was a sort of roundabout way to propose the idea, but he hoped she would get it.

Poppy cocked her head. "What... Popsqueak?" She giggled. "Gosh, I know I'm small, but I'm not that small. Just look at us!" She gestured to the top of their heads. "I'm taller than you... by a hair!"

"Hair doesn't count," Branch said.

"Yes it does!"

"Okay, maybe a little... but that's not exactly the nickname I meant."

"Oh," Poppy said, thinking again. "Is it... Boy Toy?"

Branch chuckled. "No..."

She thought for a second, wondering what other nicknames there could be. Then she snapped her fingers. "Ohhh, you mean when she goes around saying 'Ooo! There goes Poppy's little boyfr - " She paused midsentence, realizing what she was about to say, blushing, and then peeking over at him, only to find Branch nodding.

"Right... that one."

Poppy grew a very shy smile, looking down at their feet and brushing her hair from her eyes. "Branch," she said slowly, "Are you trying to ask me if I want you to be my boyfriend?"

Branch took a deep breath. "Well... it's better to do than to try, right?" With that, he tilted her chin up so their eyes could meet again, and asked. "Poppy... do you want me as your boyfriend?... Would you be my girlfriend?"

Poppy beamed. She was thrilled. She was ecstatic! "YES! Yes, of course! I'd love to! YES!" She hugged Branch fiercely, and he gladly wrapped his arms around her. When Poppy leaned back, Branch had expected to look into her beautiful eyes once more, but was beyond shocked when she grabbed the sides of his face and so sweetly touched her lips to his.

He would have gasped if his mouth wasn't occupied, but the hanging jaw he had when she broke away was enough to make up for it. Poppy looked shocked at what she'd done.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I should have asked! I didn't mean to rush all this and - "

And she was shut up by Branch, kissing her right back, letting her know no apologies were needed. They were together, a couple, official. That's what mattered.