sneak peek | first look

autumn sloane

If anyone had told me I'd still be hiding from prefects, even in my seventh year, I would have agreed. The need to be out past hours has exceeded the need for other things in my life that I find enjoyable.

But if anyone had told me I'd be in the tiniest broom closet this bloody school has with Sebastian Sallow, blushing at his need to flirt as a way to ease rapid rising tension—well, I might have laughed a little.

I'm at a loss for words as the dim lighting in the room is enough to illuminate his face well enough for me to see the predatory and satisfied look in his eyes.

"Stop talking, they might still be around." I muster up whatever excuse I can think of and pair it with a hushed whisper, not trusting myself with anything louder.

He shuts his mouth but I'm not sure it solves absolutely anything at all. He's still eyeing me in ways that raise various flags of uncertainty inside me. The flush in my cheeks and the sudden increase in my heart are indicators that his silence was not of any aid to the solution.

"And stop looking me like that." I try to stand my ground, to appear assertive, but I can't help but feel as if I'm coming off as anything but.

"Like what?" He whispers back.

I myself am not sure as to what. He looks at me dangerously, wildly, mischievously, and overall just hungrily. For the longest time since fifth year, our banter was enough to fulfill the desire of attention and playfulness. But now? He's looking at me void of any sense of humor and he seems absolutely famished.

My mouth runs dry physically and metaphorically, as I am unable to answer him. The lack of a response has him smirking and has me feeling uneasy, but not in an uncomfortable way. Temptation is a fickle topic, one that needs the upmost discipline.

As far as discipline goes, I've never had to worry about keeping myself from Sebastian. This has never been an issue before. Now, I fear that it might be.

It's the panic settling in that responds for me.

"Like I am one of the poor girls that warm your bed."

The smirk widens slightly. "Those poor girls walk out starstruck and a little more than satisfied. They typically have no issue warming beds."

Again, my flustered face sends his confidence soaring and I hate it. I despise the lack of control I have in this situation.

"And if you think you're in any competition with them, you are sorely mistaken." Sebastian carefully treads closer to me, practically taking up what little space there was between us.

"You are beyond them, my love. If I had you warming my bed, the cold would never be an issue for me ever again." He continues.

My breath hitches at what he insinuates, which is more than one night with him. I am insanely desperate for the moment to end, but I crave the feeling he gives me. The adrenaline rushing throughout my body, the electrifying shock that is the result of his words... it's all too addicting. I've never felt such a feeling, even on my most dangerous adventures. And with the amount of pressure and stress I've had to take on these last two years, I can't deny the lightweight feeling when he towers over me.

He looks like he might kiss me. And I am battling the options of letting him or pushing him away, if he were to act on such obvious desires.

— cut finish.

First look at Wicked Games! Be sure to read, comment, and vote! And be sure to look out for updates for upcoming chapters!