Trusting You Was a Mistake

Tud —

Aimsey's making a huge mistake, looking into his past. He doesn't know what it means, that explosion. And I'm not just talking about what it means for him — I'm talking about the entire world. The things Tud found... they're too dangerous for him to know about, but it's too late. Why did I let myself think that this human was trustworthy when he lied about what he was just five seconds after we met?

Humans are all the same, with their volatile emotions.

Tud couldn't handle anything he found — it broke him. And it's going to break Aimsey, too. I just know it. He's in danger, but he feels too betrayed to stop and think for five seconds, to know that finding his past won't change a single damn thing, and to move on with his inconsequential little life, talking to foxes and birds, or whatever he does.

I understand that feeling of betrayal all to well, of losing someone you thought was a friend, but I did nothing to him. Really, it's his fault for looking into things he shouldn't have, especially when I told him to leave. He should have listened.

I can't do anything but watch as he runs away like a coward, stumbling down all of the stairs in his haste to be anywhere else. The answers aren't out there. They're behind me, in my "home," where I've stayed for so long researching the mysteries of the portals inside after I buried Tud in one of the rooms as a reminder to not let any attachments get in the way.

And what did I do? I let someone else in.

My ears perk up, flicking backwards as a sound slowly drifts out to me from inside. I slowly turn towards it, a ball of anxiety knotting in my chest. It sounds familiar, this strange crackling and howling, but it must be my imagination, right?

...I know that's a lie.

I don't need to crawl through the small entrance anymore, so I walk through the seafoam wooden wall, shivering at the feel of my ghostly cat body going through something I once found solid. It's a strange sensation, of molecules interacting in a way they shouldn't, but I don't have long to think about it before my attention is torn away from my real body. The image of my lifeless blue eyes, the stab wound through my chest, and the blood soaking into the porous End Stone floor, it's something I can never unsee, no matter how many times it's happened, but I have to forget about it and think. The sounds are coming from my left; the hallway where the Nether Portal is. In the few seconds it takes to rush over, a million possibilities pop up in my mind, all worse than the last.

But what I see — it — it doesn't make any sense. The obsidian portal's closed and silent, so nothing should come out, but... growing inside the burgundy wood floor are green, yellow spotted mushrooms as huge as my paws.