Chapter three

Fear

He did not remember anything from the hunt. His mind had turned blank, and all his focus had been on the deer. He laid on the ground, licking his paws while the pack were tearing the deer apart. He could not eat from it yet. His tongue licked his nose, and he watched the wolves tear the deer. He didn't know how to escape the pack. Would he be able to run away? Or would he be hunted down and torn apart? If he proceeded to run away, would Lycaon be able to control him, even from afar? And could he even turn back? He wasn't sure if he could do it. He hadn't tried yet. His chest hurt as he thought of his friends. He didn't like to go behind their backs. They were under the impression that he went home, but soon they'd probably realize, he never arrived. His mother would call camp and ask where he was, and his friends would ask why he wasn't with his mom.

He laid his head onto his paws and watched as the pack ate. His stomach was twisting and turning, he could not tell if it was from hunger or from being apart from his family. If he managed to return, how would he hide this? If he told them, they would lose trust in him, but they'd also lose trust in him if he kept silent.

He let out a huff. He could only hope he would be able to leave soon. He stared at the green grass. He could smell it. That sweet smell of spring...

He felt eyes on him. He looked up to be met by the red eyes.

The man sat down next to him; his eyes narrowed at him.

Percy averted his eyes.

"You can eat now." He spoke. Percy didn't move. "You want to return, don't you?" Lycaon asked, his voice terrifyingly neutral. Percy glanced at him. "You can return." He spoke. "I won't stop you." He gazed down at the wolf.

He tilted his head slightly. He didn't know how Lycaon had been able to speak in my head when he was a wolf, but he'd like to learn it, he was tired of just looking. He wanted the werewolf king to know what he really thought of him.

"The pack might welcome you back. When you get cast out of your own." A slight smirk rested on his face. His red eyes bore into Percy's.

Was he going to be cast out of camp?

"Close your eyes and focus on your human form. With your mind empty of thoughts, you'll eventually be able to transform back." He told him as he rose from the ground. Percy watched him as he retreated back to the wolves. He stood up and shook his body. He gazed at the pack. Should he stay? If he stayed, he would be surrounded by beings that understood his situation, but he'd be feared by his own friends as they would not recognize him. Lady Artemis might even kill him if she stumbled upon the pack. But if Percy returned, could he then hide this new... thing? Could he hide the wolf from his friends? Would they notice something was off? Would he even be able to control himself amongst the demigods and satyrs? Or would he go kill them all?

He turned his back to the pack and disappeared into the forest. His paws dug into the soft ground. He sniffed the air. A faint smell of strawberries caught his nose. He would soon be home.

Home...

Was it even his home anymore?

Percy stopped walking and gazed around, just to make sure he wasn't being watched. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Empty his mind. Like that was easy.

He pictured himself as a human. His raven black hair that was always in his eyes. His sea green eyes. His troublesome grin. His tall and slight muscular figure. The usual camp shirt he wore and blue jeans. He focused on his appearance. When he opened his eyes, he frowned. Or well, tried to. He was still furry. A low growl escaped him.

He sat down and once again closed his eyes. Human, he thought. I want to be human. He emptied his mind from everything and focused on his human form. Suddenly, he felt something snap. His bones began to crack and move. A shiver ran down his spine and he felt his ears and tail shrink.