Keep trying

Clak Clak Clak...

Scribble Scribble Scribble..

The sound of keypads and pens scribbling on paper fills the currently empty room as its only habitant furiously types away, attempting to finish the decently tall pile of paperwork scattered around his desk. Some paperwork is nearing its deadline while Mark-sensei tries his best to complete it. Having pulled an all-nighter has him feeling lightheaded as he chugs another cup of coffee and throws it in the nearest trash bin that has already been filled with cups of instant ramen, energy bar wrappers, and coffee cups.

"Urgh," I groan out, "When will this end.. It's been hours and it feels like I haven't done much at all." While the other large pile of the already completed paperwork says otherwise, seeing how much I have left is enough to tire me further. Feels like climbing the smallest part of a bigger mountain. After completing another set of request forms, Inventory checks, and area rentals for events. I add them to the 'Completed' section and take another set, rinse and repeat for an hour. Most of them need to be completed digitally while others need a physical copy which makes this whole ordeal more cumbersome than it already is. The mountainous paperwork eventually lessens so I decide to stop and take a break. Standing up from my office, I admire the vast skyline as the morning sun penetrates the windows, lighting the wall it hits with a wonderful orange hue.

'What time is it? 7:15? Should probably eat breakfast.' I mentally say to myself while checking the time on my wristwatch. I headed towards the break room, opened a cabinet, cooked some instant ramen, and prepared some cold water. I'm sure my body is thanking me for drinking another kind of liquid for the last 8 hours. Taking the cup of cold water and the finished instant ramen, I head back to my office and sit down to eat on the sofa while placing my pathetic breakfast on the decently sized table. I had this sofa and table put here ever since more than one student decided to pop in and visit SCHALE.

Most of them usually help me with whatever, others using the time to rest or study while some just come to play games and tease me constantly. Not that I mind though. It's been my favorite sofa ever since I came here. The place where I sleep if I need a quick nap or decide to stay in the office for the night. While it's not the epitome of high-class living, it doesn't matter that much to me as long as I have somewhere to sleep.

Finishing my breakfast, I throw the cup in the trash bin and down the cold water before letting out a loud "Ah!" as I feel refreshed after drowning that lingering taste of coffee on my taste buds. Before continuing my herculean task, I decided to take a look in the mirror and see myself looking like a pile of shit and- "Huh? Have I gained weight?" I ask myself, patting the enlarged belly outlined by my dress shirt. I haven't been eating that unhealthy, right? Sure, I may have only been eating takeouts and instant ramen but I wasn't expecting to get THIS fat. Whatever. I'll deal with that later.

Ding!

Feeling the vibration on my phone, I take it out and check out the notification I received, knowing I often get messages from a special someone at this time of the hour.

Shiroko

*「Good Morning, Mark.」

^「Good morning, Shiroko. Did you sleep well?」

*「Nn. Did you?」

^「I wasn't able to. Had a lot of work to do. :c 」

*「Oh no. Then is it okay if I visit you right now? I know someone else is scheduled for secretary duty today but I really want to see you.」

^「Of course, Shiroko. No need to worry if there's someone on secretary duty. I missed you by the way.」

*「Nn. Missed you too. I'm on my way.」