Blueberries

November 18, 1979

         When he had met David, it was when they were eight years old. The boy has been trying to get a toy from a claw machine, but he couldn't get it out. After surveying David, he decided that he'd be his friend, maybe even his best friend. So, being the headstrong eight-year old he was, Exer had waltzed over and smiled at David.

        He wasn't going to lie however, that when he saw the blonde's face, he was taken aback. This boy, this peer, had the most beautiful doe eyes he had ever seen. His eyes were like glossy marbles made of sapphires. Skin fair as porcelain, and hair as golden as the angels above, he could feel his breath leave his body, and he didn't know why. But that wasn't stopping him.

       "Hey! I'm Exer. Want help?" He smiled, teeth white against the warm color of his skin. Exer could feel his smile stretch across his face as he leaned against the machine, attempting to appear casual. The blonde raised an eyebrow slightly before nodding.

       "I'm David." David. His name was David. He wasn't going to forget that name. He surveyed the glossy haired boy before nodding and slyly touching the side of the machine.

       "Which one do you want David?" Exer asked, and for some reason, he could feel fluttering in his stomach, like butterflies or moths desperately trying to escape. David pointed at a cat, a black one with emerald eyes, almost the same color of the mist that would follow him around. The mist that was actually flitting around in sparks around his head.

       "No problem!" He gave David a gap-toothed grin before sidestepping to the front of the machine, pushing a dented coin in with his thumb, and he started to play. One hand still on the side of the machine, and his tongue slightly out, he fiddled with the joystick, and using his magic, he grabbed the cat firmly with the claw.

       Out of the corner of his eye, Exer could see David staring, sparkly eyed and hopeful at the machine as he steered the prize into the winning bin. With a kerthunk and a jerk, the machine dropped the toy and came to a stop. Exer proudly bent down, grabbed the cat out of the somewhat grimy retreval bin, and held it out for David.

       David let out a laugh and hugged he cat to his chest. When he had straightened up, David grabbed Exer and pulled him into a hug. Exer froze for a second, surprised, before more than happily hugging him back. When they finally broke apart, Exer saw David's blueberry eyes staring happily, and a bit shyly, into his own honey ones.

       The fluttering returned, still buzzing, still joyful. Exer decided now since he has won the boy over with a toy, he'd spring the question on him.

       "Wanna be best friends?" He asked brightly, putting on his most charming smile. David looked happy, then confused.
"Don't we need to be friends first?" David asked, voice slightly high, and a perplexed look plastered on his face.
"Nuh-uh, winning you a toy counts as being friends." I explained, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

       "But then how would that make us best friends?" David asked, which momentarily stumped Exer. This was a good point, but he wasn't going to let his new friend think he was stupid. Or a liar.
"Simple, we name the toy!"
"That's how we become best friends?"
"Yup!"

        David looked ecstatic and surveyed the cat. He gave it a scanning look before glancing at Exer. "What about Meyrl?" I shook my head no. "It looks like a boy cat."
"Bowie?" He suggested again, but I shook my head no.

       "Nuh-uh. Doesn't suit him."
"Well what do you think?"
"Ziggy. I like Ziggy!"
"I like that too! His name is Ziggy! Ziggy Stardust! Thanks Axel!"

       I felt my cheeks heat up and I looked away in embarrassment. He didn't remember my name? The audacity! The funny thing is though, he let David call him that for the rest of the day to spare him from embarrassment. Only when his dad called him to leave did David realize he had been saying his name wrong.

      "Bye Ax- Exer! I'll see you at school? Do you go to Kingsmont Elementary? Wait I've seen you around! Yeah, see you at school tomorrow!" David smiled and waved, eyes bright. Exer couldn't help waving back at his new best friend before walking out of the arcade, happy and content.

©2024, All Rights Reserved