Lemons

January 10th, 1981

     David and Exer had been best friends for about two years now, and Exer had yet to go to David's house. So today was the day David awkwardly invited him over for a sleepover. Exer agreed very happily, but he couldn't help feeling nervous about meeting  David's father. I mean, there must have been a reason David never wanted to go home, and always loved being at his house.

     But nonetheless, his father had packed him a bag, wished him luck, and told him to call if he was needed. Exer walked to David's house alone. He'd walked there before, to either bike or walk David home. But this is the first time he'd step into the navy house with the well-manicured lawn.
When he knocked on the door, someone opened the door. Maroon hair, pasty skin, crooked nose, and a glare that shook him to his core, stood who he only assumed to be David's father.

      Mr. Miller must have noticed the fear on his face, so he smirked a bit.
"So. This is the well renowned Exer Campbell, huh?"
I nodded simply. He clapped my shoulder and pulled me inside. I saw David watching and hovering around the corner. He had something in his hand. I'd seen them at the store, it was a frosty glass bottle with beer in it. I blinked.

     Mr. Miller pulled me into the living room and sat me down on the foul smelling couch. It smelled like a metallic, stale, something. I couldn't place what it was however. I'm sure I'd think of it later. The couch was an ugly one, and it wasn't very comfortable. It was a awful brown color, with an occasional splotch. I attempted to not gag. It was hard, but I did it. I didn't really feel welcome here with Mr. Miller.

      David handed his father the beer, and when Mr. Miller opened it, he offered it to David. David looked like he wanted to protest, but he must have done this before because he took a sip and looked green. Not  magic green, nauseous green. Then, to my utter suprise, Mr. Miller offered me some. I shook my head no immediately.

    "No thank you sir. I'm good." I said in my most grown up polite voice. He ignored me.
"Ah, Harry needs to loosen up. Come on kid, take a sip."
I shook my head no again. He glared. It was spooky. He held it out, and I reluctantly took a small sip. He pushed the back of the bottle to get more in his mouth. When Mr. Miller pulled the bottle away, Exer swallowed it with a sputter. It tastes like how David's mother's nail polish smelled.

     Mr. Miller laughed to himself, before glaring at Exer and telling him to "be a man." He also mentioned that Exer was more 'manly' than David, because the first the time the blonde had tried it, he had spit the alcohol out. His mouth tasted bad. And his throat felt warm. He much preferred the weather smoothies his dad made him and David. He'd make a different theme for each one, depending on the weather. If it was raining it was a blend of purple and blue fruit.

      He did not like being forced to take a gulp of this foul tasting liquid on this foul smelling couch in this foul house with this big ass foul leprechaun in front of him. David was like a ray of sunlight most of the time, but right now that sunshine was blocked by clouds because he was curled up on the opposite side of the couch.

     This confused him. David would normally cuddle right up next to Exer, and Exer would adjust his body temperature with his magic depending on how David felt. He could tell David was cold, because he was all twisted up in a human knot. But maybe he was unhappy? Exer wouldn't be surprised. David spoke of his father with hope that he'd like him.

      Mr. Miller started to yap about football, asking Exer if he likes it. Exer said he did. He didn't mind it, but it wasn't his favorite thing in the world. In fact, it was a bit confusing. His dad would watch cartoons with Exer, not football. But Exer sighed nonetheless and listened to David's dad, nodding occasionally and agreeing with him. David picked at his socks.