Part 3

As it turns out, there aren't many places you can go to past midnight. Public transports stop working at 1 AM, shops close much earlier, and the city, despite its liveliness, gets enveloped in a pleasant serenity. He likes it, it's why nighttime is the only time of the day when he gets to be himself. He'd lay in bed, overthinking every small detail of his mundane life, the little mishaps he had with others, the stupid things that came out of his mouth, and it keeps him awake till dawn. These were his initial plans for the night, but, in an ironic twist of events, he's glad his plans were ruined.

He's glad he's not alone right now.

They walk in comfortable silence, letting their feet lead the way with no particular destination in mind. He steals a glance at Chaeyoung. She's wearing his padded coat, looking like a small kitten covered in a giant warm blanket, and smiles. It's adorable he thinks, but he'll never say it aloud. She notices his eyes on him and raises her brows.

"What?" she asks and looks at the coat she's wearing, her eyes widening in realization "Oh my god, I'm so sorry I just wore your coat, I- god, you must be cold, here—" she starts taking it off but Jungkook quickly reassures her that it's completely fine.

"I want you to wear it. I'd feel much better if you did." He says, pointing at it. She nods, a little smile playing on her lips as she adjusts it.

"For someone so cynical about people, you're awfully kind." She remarks, hands tucked neatly in the coat's pockets. The wind was picking up speed at this time of night, but she couldn't be less bothered. She's always loved the cold, despite her getting the flu so often. She likes the feeling of the icy breeze brushing against her skin, gentle as an old love's touch but harsh as her everyday life.

"I'm not. Trust me." He replies with an awkward smile.

"You gave me your noodles, you stayed with me when I didn't want to be left alone, you offered me your coat and you listened to me blabbering even though you didn't have to. You did all this for someone you don't even know." She lists, her tone growing stronger with each point. "I'd say you're the best human I've ever met."

He shakes his head. "That's not true." He tries to mask his discomfort with an airy laugh, but Chaeyoung sees right through it, and for some reason, it pains her.

"Do you always do this? Look down on yourself?" The question catches him off-guard.

"I'm not looking down on myself, I'm just looking at myself and what I am is not kind."

"Jungkook."

"I'm not." He presses, hoping she'd just drop it, but Chaeyoung was never one to give up.

"I beg to differ." She says

"Well, that's your opinion." He replies, a little too curtly.

She chuckles and moves a little closer to his side. She finds his presence calming, a familiar but long-forgotten sense of peace coming down to her. Ironic how a stranger makes her feel more at ease than her blood.

"What about me?" she asks

"What about you?"

"What's your opinion on me?" once again, she surprises him.

"We just met." He reasons

"Well, what's your first impression of me? Be honest." he can sense she's nervous about his answer as if she's seeking his approval, which doesn't make sense. They're strangers. Strangers don't seek anything from other strangers, so why is she looking at him in anticipation?

"Persistent—" her face drops and it makes him feel guilty instantly, but he's not done yet. So, with a kind smile, he continues "but considerate. And understanding."