1. I'm not Flash

???'s POV:

A/N:  cause i'm a cool author and do pov's to let you know what the character is thinking too ;)

"Are there seriously more boxes?" I question mom. 

I was done and tired with all this heaving. I'm seriously questioning why I thought it was a good idea to move here. I mean...Oxford is amazing compared to London when it comes to a lot of things, but all this work was making me rethink my decision.

But dad did make a good argument. One, it was cheaper. Two, it was calmer. Three, it's Oxford, Oxford University right around the corner. Four, he got a new job as a professor at Oxford so either way, we had to move here.

"Yes, go help your brother with the boxes" says mom.

"But I'm so tired and the boxes are so heavy" I whine.

"They wouldn't be so heavy if all your books weren't in them" mom says, but I know she understands cause she loves books herself.

"You can't blame me, ever since I started reading, you told me that they carry the world and that's why they're heavy. You deal with them." I pout.

But I knew mom had enough when she gave me one stern look. I heaved myself up from the kitchen floor and went out to the porch where all the boxes for the inside were. The other boxes containing stuff for the garage was, well, near the garage.

I decided to just get it over with  and ignore the screams from my tortured arms. I picked up one box and started to move inside.

"MOVE Al, move " I heard my brother before he tumbled into me and sent my box sliding into the shoe cupboard. Luckily, the box was still in his hands and not on my pretty face. Hey! I'm pretty okay.

"What are you doing? Are you trying to kill me?" 

"Nah I failed too many times at that. But why didn't you move when I told you to move?"

"I'm not Flash idiot"

"Not my problem" he says before stepping around and placing the box in the living room as if nothing happened. 

Well what can you do?

I picked up the box, again. It was medium weight, and had my name on it. As I made my way up to my bedroom, I realised how thankful I should be to mom who came up with the idea to label everything. Without the labels, we'd be doomed. 

I go on to place the box in the middle of my room, with all the other boxes. I can't wait to open them all up and arrange everything around my room. But that's for tomorrow. Today, today I'm too tired to deal with the annoying duck tape on the boxes. 

So far in my room, there's a bare bed, a bookcase, and a study table. Thinking of study tables....I wonder how my new school will be. Dad told me it's one of the best public schools in the UK, so I was pretty excited about that. I can't wait to see all the exciting stuff they have...especially in the computer lab...

Thee was single large window illuminating the room and I was thankful because I preferred natural light over artificial. A cherry blossom tree was right outside, with a wide swing hanging from one of it's sturdy branches. I wondered whether the swing was in our yard or the neighbour's, because swinging under a cheery blossom tree while reading a book sounded like the perfect idea...

I went over to the window and noticed that there was a small field behind the house, with other houses surrounding it. In the field, there was a small lake. I couldn't see properly so I shifted the window up and observed the tree. How could I reach one of the branches to get a better view...

"ALI, do I need to remind you that there are more boxes?" mom shouted from downstairs.

Yikes, I better hurry and a get a move on before mom actually got angry.

«««»»»

Once all the boxes were shifted into the house, dad signalled the truck driver that everything was done. The driver started the engine, and left, leaving behind a trail of black smoke. Is that even legal anymore?

I coughed, fanning the air in front of me as I made my way to the garage to have a look at what dad was doing and help him out. I was avoiding smoke at all costs, a shortened lifespan doesn't sound appeasing does it? 

"What are you doing dad?" I ask as I make way towards him. This was the first time we were having a garage. In London, usually there is no garage in the non-residential areas, where we used to live. It was spacious, and it was going to keep mom off dad's head about all his tools leaving a grease in the kitchen cupboard. I noticed that our cycles were standing against the wall in one corner. My skateboard was right beside it. I grabbed my skateboard and sat on it, moving  around slightly with my legs.

"Eh, just arranging everything here" he replies. "Grab the screwdriver box from that corner and bring it here Ali, you're going to be my assistant for the evening"

Oh no, what did I bring myself into, the "evening" meant a whole week until his little project was done. Sure, my dad taught Maths at university, but he still loved messing around with his tools and creating little pieces of furniture to have around the house. One time, he carved out two little birds holding a heart for mom's anniversary. He truly was amazing at doing what he loved, his creations, and his family.

Soooooooooo

How was the first chapter? Did you get to know more about our main character?

What do you think her name is?

(realises I was trying so hard not to reveal the name in the first chap, but I already did in the character boards...let's ignore this shall we?

hocus pocus, you shall not remember their names anymore!

whooosh)

How's the house?

How's the sibling rivalry?...although you haven't seen much of it to be fair

Tell me your thoughts about the chapter!

And remember, don't be a shy reader, I love reading comments.

Hey you! Yes you. You with that beautiful smile, thanks for reading...

Word count: around 950