~Chapter 1~

* * * * * * * * *

AMIRAH:

We locked eyes in silence, the air thick with unspoken tension. As always, I played the role of a flawless Queen and a loyal wife, groomed from childhood into this image, but unfortunately for a man who had shattered my life and changed the course of my fate and dreams. Despite his repeated attempts to provoke and anger me, I refused to grant him the satisfaction of witnessing my tears and sorrow, emotions I always kept hidden until I was alone behind closed doors.

Our mutual dislike ran deep, yet we were mere human beings grappling with the struggle of suppressing our physical urges and desires.

"Our marriage may have been forged in enmity," he said to me as he looked me in the eyes, "but now I long to claim you as my own, to dominate every inch of your being. Your stubborn spirit both frustrates and entices me, my Queen. Shall we find a way to channel this energy into something more... pleasurable?"

"My King, your gentle dominance tempts me to yield, but I shall not abandon my convictions. Let our minds clash, even as our bodies ache for unity. Hence my answer to your question—no we shall not."

"Then so be it."

"So be it."

The sole shred of positivity existing between us was a mutual respect.

And that was the extent of our connection, destined never to be anything more.

* * *
(A Year Ago.)

Despite feeling anxious inside and with my heart pounding uncontrollably, I maintained a poised and composed exterior as I walked down the Royal hall with my servants trailing closely behind. Head held high, chest out, and posture perfect, I took steady steps.

~

I, Princess Amirah Kongo, the only daughter of King Amândio Kongo and Queen Domingas Kongo, the reigning monarchs of the stunning Quindao Isle(island)—our island nation and kingdom located in the Gulf of Guinea, off the equatorial coast of Central Africa—was the pride of my people, and today was the day I aimed to make them even prouder.

Having just turned twenty-five, I found myself at the age deemed ripe for marriage in our customs. It was time for me, for the first time, to prepare a meal for my father and present it to him. If he approved, my hand would be offered in marriage to the Prince of my choosing from among the eligible bachelors seeking my hand.

Unlike my elder brother, Felipe, who was destined to succeed our father, my role as Princess of Quindao Isle involved fostering strong ties with neighboring kingdoms for the benefit of our people. While the nature of my duty was political, I longed to experience a love as genuine as my parents'.

My desire was to select a partner based on my heart's yearning, not solely on political considerations. I hoped that among the Princes that would come to ask for my hand, I would discover a connection that transcended mere politics.

~

As I walked into the room, I was greeted by my smiling parents, seated at the dining table surrounded by their attendants and guards. Alongside them sat my cousins, brother, as well as the nobles and elders of Quindao Isle—esteemed men and women who served as advisors and key decision-makers for the royal family.

'They're all here to be impressed by you, Amirah. You have absolutely nothing to be worried about.'

Positioned at one end of the table, I greeted them all.