Njato let out a breath of relief as they pulled up to the hotel. Henny, her cheeks still damp from crying, looked out the window with wide, hopeful eyes. The sight of home seemed to wash away her fears, and she was visibly eager to see her parents and little brother again.

To avoid drawing attention, Njato parked the car a short walk from the hotel's entrance. They needed a moment of calm before facing her family.

He unbuckled his seatbelt and turned to Henny with a reassuring smile. "You've been really brave today, Henny. Let's not worry your parents with all the details, okay? Just tell them you and Ruby got a bit lost after dark and found a place to stay until I found you."

Henny bit her lip, pondering. "And Ruby? Should I tell my parents the bad man took her away?" she asked, her wide eyes brimming with innocence.

Njato's heart ached at the question. "No, don't talk about the bad man. Just  say that Ruby wasn't there when you woke up, and leave it at that," he said, trying to keep his voice light.

Henny frowned, looking unsure. "But Mommy says it's bad to lie."

"It's not a lie, it's just... not the whole truth. We don't want to upset them more than we have to," Njato explained, hoping to ease her conscience.

Henny nodded, looking more determined. "Okay. Can we go in now? I'm really hungry.” With that, she flung open the car door and dashed toward the hotel.

Njato sprang into action, his protective instincts kicking in as Henny made a beeline for the hotel. They were in a secluded area, away from the main thoroughfare, which lessened the risk but didn't eliminate it. His eyes scanned the surroundings for any unexpected vehicles that might not spot the small, darting figure of the child. He quickened his pace, determined to reach her side and guide her safely through any potential dangers.

Njato caught up with Henny just as her hand grazed the old door of what she called home. The hotel’s sign, creaking in the wind with its peeling paint and creaky floors, was no place for a child—or for Ruby, who had always preferred life's finer things. It was no wonder she lashed out at Cob and took off.

Deep down, Njato knew Ruby wouldn't return to this place. They were destined to be together, and he was determined to find her. But first, he needed to rest up and refuel before he went after the fiery-haired woman he couldn't stop thinking about.

Though the lobby was barely lit, they saw Henny's family rush forward, their faces etched with worry and relief.

Henny's mother enveloped her in a tight embrace, while her father's gaze fixed on Njato with an intensity  that bordered on anger. Bernie, leaning heavily on a cane, looked aged beyond his years, his knee injury apparent.

"Where's Ruby?" Bernie snapped, barely noticing his daughter. Henny reached for a hug, but he brushed her off, telling his wife to take the kids away so he could talk to Njato alone.”

They went to Bernie's office to talk privately. Njato slumped into a chair, weaving a story but leaving out the part about the man left underground and the black car tailing him.

"You're not going to leave Ruby out there, are you?" Bernie pressed, feigning concern while masking his irritation at his men's failure to deal with Njato, so he could have the redhead all to himself.

Feeling a pang of guilt, Njato shifted. "You're right, but I'm wiped out. I need to shower and get some sleep. Then I'll have the strength to go find her.”

Bernie nodded, a calculating look in his eyes. "Get some rest. You've done well bringing Henny back," he said, his voice tinged with a hint of genuine gratitude.