comfort (l.h)

You skated around the goal, seeing the tiny black puck being angrily passed back to center ice by the goalie. You saw the hats fly onto the ice making your ego skyrocket.

Your teammates engulfed you in a hug before you skated past the bench, earning praise and gloved fist bumps. Your eyes wandered towards the cheering crowd, eventually landing on your boyfriend, his family, and your family.

They all stood up and clapped. You smiled at them as best you could, your face covered by your cage.

Skating back to the center, you took the face off, winning it easily. You were about 30 seconds into your shift before your Coach called you off. The score was 3-0, all goals being yours.

You sat down on the bench and took off your helmet to drink some water. Your coach walked over, placing a gentle yet aggressive hand on your shoulder.

"Great shit out there. I love watching you play." She told you, a rush of pride flowing through your body.

"Thanks." You smiled.

She smiled back, "I'm not putting you back in for the rest of the game."

Your smile fell and your eyebrows furrowed, "What?"

"I want to see what everyone else can do. It's nothing personal."

"This is not the place to do that. We need to win this game!" You exclaimed.

She ignored your comment waving you off.

~~~

"What the-?! Y/n, get back in there!" Your coach yelled.

Your team had somehow managed to blow the 3-0 lead and it was now 3-3. You tried to maintain your annoyance seeing as all 3 goals were easily preventable, but your team just gave them up.

You skated back on the ice, calling your team over. Once they huddled around you, you saw the disappointment in their faces.

"Alright, these last three goals? Forget them. We play til the final minute." You said.

They all nodded, but you earned one or two eye rolls at your speech. You made a mental note to say something about it later.

Before you took the faceoff you looked up at the jumbotron above the ice. There were 3 minutes left in the third period. 3 minutes to score one goal or stop the other team from scoring.

The ref dropped the puck and you won it easily. But as your teammate went to send the pass up the ice, the opposing center got to it first, carrying it up the ice.

You noticed your defensemen were slow to get back and pretty much gave up on it. Since you were running off nothing but adrenaline and anger and managed to catch up to her.

As you poked at the puck and her stick, your skate came out the slightest bit, but not enough to trip her. Unfortunately, she noticed this too and took a dive forward so it looked like a trip.

Confusion covered your face as you heard the whistle blow and the ref came up to you, "Go to the box!"

You threw up your hands in confusion, "For what? She dived!"

The ref only shook his head and skated towards center ice, "Canada, number 13, 2 minutes for tripping."

His announcement didn't stop you from arguing. As captain, you were allowed to. The back and forth banter between the two of you continued until you finally stepped in the box, still fighting.

You took off your helmet aggressively, throwing it to the floor. You threw your head back to lean it against the glass, letting a breath out as you caught a quick glance at the ref over by your team's bench.