15

Neriah was finishing a braid in Lori's hair in a warehouse when she picked up on a scent, making her freeze as did Satomi and Scott. Lori seemed to notice, looking over at Brett who was across from them, watching Neriah carefully.

"Don't say a word," Neriah whispered to Lori, quietly standing up and putting her body in front of the girl.

Behind a sheer sheet hung up on the wall, a shadow moved closer to them and the whole pack noticed, watching closely. Until Satomi threw her sharp metal stick that went through the sheet, making a man grunt. Brett moved before anyone else did, running through the sheet.

"Brett!" Neriah yelled, using her vampire speed and putting her back to Chris who had his gun up and aimed at Brett's face. "Stand down!" she growled; her red eyes glowing.

"Wait! Wait!" Scott ran out to them, stopping behind Brett with his hands up. "This is his place! It's his!"

"Listen to him," Neriah firmly said, sensing Chris lowering his gun behind her. "You can't hurt him."

Brett stopped growling, keeping his eyes on Neriah as he stepped back. Neriah exhaled deeply, facing a pissed-off Chris.

"Riah," he started, "if you bring in guests, you could have called."

"Have you checked your phone?" She raised a brow. "I called you five times and left a voicemail twice saying I had nowhere else to take them."

Chris thinned his lips. "Well...Fine, you have me there."

"Exactly," Neriah muttered, turning back to the others as she stood by his side.

"I know this man," Satomi said, stopping near them. "He may not remember, but we've met before."

"You can trust him," Scott assured her. "Neriah and I trust him."

"How do we know he's not like the others?" Satomi asked.

"Because he's my adopted father," Neriah said. "I'm a Hybrid and he's a hunter, yet he's also my father and I lived with him across the world. He could've killed me during that time, but all he has done is taken care of me and supported me," she added, praying that Satomi would trust her word.

"It's true," Kira said. "The main reason he came back to Beacon Hills was because she did, and he wants to protect her and us."

Scott nodded and Chris looked at Neriah with pride before looking at Satomi. "What others are you talking about?"

"Last night, there was a whole team after them," Kira informed him, handing him an arrow. "And they used crossbows."

Chris looked at the arrowhead, studying it.

"They're hunters, aren't they?" Scott questioned.

"Not if they're killing for profit," Chris said. "Not anymore."

"Can they find us?" Brett questioned.

"They might already know you're here," Chris said. "And maybe they're waiting for dark."

"So we're not safe here?" Kira asked.

"We're not safe anywhere," Satomi stated. "We've been trying to get out for days. Everywhere we turn, we find someone new trying to kill us."

Chris turned to Neriah, taking a step toward her. "If they're coming, Riah, then they're coming for you too. You're still number one on the dead pool."

"I know that," Neriah muttered. "An assassin tried to kill me two nights ago and I'm still standing. I'm not dead and there's no way in hell they're killing me or anyone in my pack and Satomi's. I won't lose anyone else."