XXXIV

Nanami's pov:

The morning rays threatened my peace as my half-opened eyes began to hurt from the sun's brightness. I unintentionally let out a yawn, leaning back against one of the beams of the motel as I was still waiting for her.

My hand ran through my hair, pushing it back as I looked into the distance at the unbothered civilians as they began their usual routine of the day.

"...and then, it was like a total eclipse so we had to wait it out..." Haibara was telling me about his dream, forcing me to use my brain to even begin to understand what he was describing.

"Mhm, got it," I replied with a monotone voice, turning my head to the side to finally see Y/N approaching us.

"Good morning," Haibara said enthusiastically, waving at her.

She was wearing our school's uniform, her steps dragging slowly as she walked. It was evident that our last night event messed up both of us as her tired gaze shifted from Haibara to me.

"Morning," Y/N replied, gently rubbing her eyes.

"Wow, you two look rough. And I thought I was the one that couldn't sleep because of the ghosts," Haibara pointed out with a small chuckle.

"Tell me about it," I said, turning to Y/N. When our eyes met, my gaze softened, and she simply responded with a gentle smile.

"What's up?" her voice echoed through my ears, my mouth slightly opening, ready for a reply, but before I could say anything Haibara was too obnoxious, as always, responding in an instant.

"Oh, nothing much. I was just telling Nanami about the crazy dream I had last night."

"Oh, really?" she smirked, "was it about the Ratchet Ghoul?" Y/N laughed, still trying to spook Haibara.

"Cut it out," I said with a soft smile, leaning against her side, prompting Y/N to laugh even more.

My heart skipped a beat as her beautiful laughter enveloped that morning. It was something that, strangely enough, I started to want to hear more often from her.

The way her lips move to gently show her smile, and the way she closes her eyes as the moment passes makes me wanna stop time just for her. To enjoy her a little more.

I began to lament but was brought back to reality as a growling sound came from Y/N's stomach.

"Eh? You're hungry?" Haibara asked, noticing now the loud and continuous noise.

"You're not?" she asked a little embarrassed, looking away as a slight tint of pink appeared on her cheeks.

"I am," I said, shrugging as I placed my hands in my pockets.

"So am I. I thought that the snacks that my sister made me will be enough, but not anymore," Haibara spoke, holding his head down.

"In this case then, we can see if there's somewhere to eat around here," I began to say, clearing my voice as I grabbed Y/N's wrist and started walking.

"Hey, don't leave me behind," Haibara exclaimed, jumping on Mika's back as he followed us.

"Hmm, I wanna eat, hmm, sushi!"